Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if any of you have taken apart your suspension etc to check/regrease the bushings, control arms, shock mounts etc? I use to do this to my dirt bikes ever winter, I would strip the bike down to the frame and grease my swing arm, shocks, bushings and bolts. Has any body done this with the Grizz? Was it necessary or was everything in decent shape? Thanks........Irv

·
Registered
93 Posts
Irv. it really depends how much abuse you give the Grizz. Both me and my friend bought 2005 Grizzly's at the same time. I ride much more aggressive than him and if I see an obstacle I just have to go over it or through it he prefers to find an easier route!. I have flipped, sunk and generally abused the Grizz and have had to strip down the front end twice and the rear dif once. My friend has not had to have anything done with over 5000km in just over a year. I am about to strip down the front end again as one of my front bearings is on the way out, 2 of the little boots over the tie rods are leaking and no grease left in them, plus I will check the steering bushes as the handle bars have some free play. This is by no means a critism of the Grizz I am more than pleased with how it performs, no other quad could put up or keep up with the abuse this machine has taken and it just keeps on going. The worst thing is the bolts they use you must be very carefull they are all like butter and can easily be stripped orthe heads ripped off if you are not carefull. ...Grizzlyspain

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GS, I was curious if people did this type of mtce. on a regular basis? But I guess not? I would hate to see you behind the controls of a tank! LOL.
Glad to hear your having fun and also glad to hear the Grizz can take lots of abuse! I think it is the best quad out there imo. I have to get myself a small torque wrench but I am having a hard time finding one, I have heard from different people about about the fasteners being on the weak/soft side. Thanks again and ride safe.........Irv

·
Registered
93 Posts
I bought mid size torque wrench for the Grizz, complete waste of time it is impossible to get access to most parts that need torquing. Just be sensible and you will be fine without it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The only bolts are tourque are the lug nuts. Other than that I tighten until snug. I grease my rear zerk fittings about every 3 rides. Other than that I just change the oil and clean the air filter. I change my diff fluid when I do oil changes, its probably over kill but they are easy to change. I changed the spark plug after one season, usually clean the air filter when I do the oil changes. Unless I rode in a dusty area.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guy's, I am thinking about a torque wrench for my oil drain bolt and diff brain bolts, I read on another forum where a guy had stripped out his diff bolts and another his oil bolt from over tightening. Sounded like a real pain in A double S. I have a bad habit, I think I got it from my father? of over tightening things myself. I would just rather be safe because of everything I have read about the quality of Yamaha bolts and threads?.........Irv

1 - 6 of 6 Posts