Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Warn bumper/trail lights combo from yamaha. It was difficult to get the lights adjusted but when they were aimed where I wanted them and the bumber was bolted down it was so much better than then stock system...here's why... When you are cruising down dark paths at night in the forest or doing a river crossing at night you will find that your low beams are still a little too high to see what is right in front of your tires. Its hard to see how deep something is and you don't have much vision off to the sides. With the trail lights hooked up and aimed right (aimed slightly down and slightly to the outsides instead of straight forward) You have a huge field of veiw and you can see everything! These worked so well that combined with my stock lights I could see extremely well. I installed it myself and it was worth the 175 dollars it cost. Gerald

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Sounds like a good upgrade Gerald, do you have any pictures? Does it get in the way of your winch at all?........Irv

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't get in the way of the winch at all. Since Warn manufactures both the winch and the bumper they did a good job of fitting them together well. I don't have any pictures because I am completely computor illiterate. Another important thing the bumper has done for me is reduce the tendency for the front end to come off the ground when I am slowly crawling up hills. It must weigh around 20 pounds and it is just enough to help out in that area.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Too bad I would love to see soem pics of it :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
the Warn traillights work great until they fill up with water. If not clean soon after, the silver reflective material inside falls off causing your lights to be very dim. I replaced mine with some reverse lights I purchase from Autozone and they are about the same size as the WArn lights. They even put out more light because they use a 55 watt bulb compared to a 35 watt in the warn lights.

The Warn Bumper is what you need to be careful with. I don't know if the change their mounting bracket, but mine fell off. What happen is that a friend backed into my bumper and bearely hit it and it pulled those inserts that you bolt it up with right out. I went thru with bolts to mount it back on and it ain't came off yet. I even hit trees and it stayed on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called warn because my instructions said that you need to put the drain hole on your lights on the bottom but my lights didnt have any drain holes. Warn said they changed the design and they went with sealed off bulbs instead of a drain hole so I hope water doesn't get in there. I hope my bumper doesn't fall off if I hit something, that would really suck!

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
i got one ordered,,, should be here in a few days,,, will post a pic when I get it installed,,,,, ,,,, ,, ,, , cg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
countrygrizz, if you have trouble putting it together give me a call. 541 404 8541 they have a bunch of little quirks with installing the lights in the bumper and I can probably save you some headaches if you run into trouble. put my number aside and dont hesitate to call me if you have trouble...Gerald

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
thanks gerald,,, I figure if nothing else Im killer with a plasma cutter and welder,,,,,can always make it fit,,, should have built my own but kinda liked the look of that one and figure I can modify it if I need to,,,,,, you need a digital cam,,,, it is easy to put pics up here,, i figure if i can do it anyone can,,,,,,,, later,, cg

·
Registered
462 Posts
i have the same bumper,with the 2 500 watt trail lights,,,its a substantial increase in lumination

also,last weekend we were riding,and for some reason i ended up with a face full of cob webs that the rider in front of me missed,and while i was attempting to clear my face my freind in front of me stopped,and i rear ended her,on her 500 scrambler,it dented her rear grab bar,which is actually part of the frame,and not a scrtach on the warn bumper,if i had just the factory bumper,it would have been caved in

just a note,,,i bought her a aftermarket rear desert grab bar,and put it on yesterday,,,i also got a piece of 1" aluminum angle bar,and fitted it over the piece i dented,and it looks like it's part of the aftermarket grab bar,,,she's estatic about the way it looks,,,i felt horrible when i hit her,she only had the bike like 3 months,and told me it was OK,,,,but it wasnt OK to me

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HooPharted, where did you get the 500 watt lights and how do I find them? What do I ask for if I go to a hardware store like true value? It said in my instructions not to get higher strength bulbs because it would drain my battery. Does that sound realistic or can I do it anyway? Gerald

·
Registered
462 Posts
i got the bumperand lights off ebay,,,my auction number was 4552757390 if you want to see

i did misspeak,i appologize,,i was confusing candle watt, for bulb wattage

the lights i have are ,,35 watt batterie saving H3 Halogen lamps,,,"400 candle watt",,,,it has been a couple moths since i installed them

the bumper definatly saved the factory bumper,and someone mentioned theirs falling off,,,,mine has 2 steel brackets that bridge the back side of the stock bumper,clamping the Warn bumper on,,,it does still fasten to the stock bumper,,,BUT what it does is,it distributes the impact from the hit more evenly accross the factory bumper

i hit the other bike pretty good,and it didnt even scratch the powder coating much less bending the factory bumper,,,it was the first test since i put it on,,,it passed

the switch for the lights,,,,,,you have to "unscrew" the intire switch lever with the rubber casing from the switch body,and match a drill bit slightly smaller than the threaded part that will stick through the plastic,,,you will have to work it through,but it gave me a very tight/secure fit,,,i mounted mine in the black plastic in front of the speedo,,the front rack has a bar on it that goes up to protect the speedo,i put the switch to the left side,between the bars as to give it some protecton,and to keep from inadvertantly turning on and off,while it is still very accessable,,,also to keep it somewhat high on the bike,,,,i wouldnt suggest the fenders or any place like that

i havnt gotton any water in my lamps at all,and we go through some pretty deep water every weekend

1 - 12 of 12 Posts