Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My buddy just purchased an '05 Grizz 660 with 110 hours and 670 miles. We only rode around the yard for less than an hour when on the driveway we saw green coolant leaking. The guy he bought it from said it sat for long periods inbetween running. I am not a gear head at all and before we take it to the shop my question is: what could be the cause of the leaking and is this going to be a possible huge expense?? Any help is appreciated.

** Also made a post in the 350 Grizz IRS general forum about purchasing one. Any insight there would be appreciated before I buy for Wife. THANKS!!

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Probably a dry rotted hose,shouldn't be too expensive. It will get expensive quick though if he rides it without coolant for very long.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bluesman is right, check the lower coolant hose. I had to replace mine becuase a stick put a hole in it. I purchased a new hose from yamaha and went to the auto parts store, bought a larger radiator hose to go over the stock hose for extra protection.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
could be as simple as a loose clamp all the way up to major broken engine components. before you take it somewhere, pull the side panels and try to figure out where it's coming from so the dealer doesn't hose you. most dealer labor rates are$75 an hour and up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Worst case scenario: what is he looking at if NOT a hose?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just found the problem. The hose dry rotted around the clamp. Whew. I was worried as all get because my buddy just bought the dang thing. Oh well if it was going to happen better in the yard then 4 miles into the woods. Thanks again guys!

Matt

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
well if its leaking from overflow vent hose on the radiator it could be a blown headgasket

same go'sif its leaking out the side of the headbad gasket either the head gasket or thermostat seal

ifits leaking down by the water pump on lower left ofthe motorshould be a bad hoseor the pump seal itself

or the outlet hose where it conects to the cylinder wall ethier bad hose or bad seal

worst case new head gasket probably $100-$600 depending on the shop and who you know

best case small seal replace it yourself for less than $30

mine blew the head gasket all togetherI spent $300 butI fixed a few more things while it was down

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
oh cool deal always like those easy fixes lol

now i just rambled all that for nothingI hate it whenI take forever to type somethinglol oh well

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ranger19jn,

Is that a hemi charger in your avatar? I drive one of those on duty. Black & white too.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
So do I win the prize? JK Glad you found it,don't be a stranger we like having new people around.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
umm no it is actually it is a S281saleen mustang that is actually barracade off transformers lol

id take one over a hemi any day lol but im sure its way out of my price range

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
Officer,

What is gonna be put back in to replace the lost coolant? I just switched over to "Engine Ice". It was $20 for the stuff, but the Grizzly is definitely running cooler with it...

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Edit, yes it is a Mustang and I'm pretty sure Ford ain't making a Hemi (I own a Hemi but it's in a 2006 Dodge Truck)

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
actually, everybody is making a Hemi, Dodge is just the only one who's claim to fame is a rounded combustion chamber.......

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
OK I'll give ya that one Hammer, I guess I meant "HEMI" with quotation marks as spoken by the ******* in the Dodge commercials.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
i'm just bustin' yer stones Blue! hahaha

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
Say "Hemi" almost anywhere on Mainstreet, U.S.A., and folks look up hopin' to see some BIG iron with BAD attitude... The Mopar guys made it famous... God bless 'em!

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
...and just in case Gunny is peeking... How did we get so far off-topic??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My buddy just took his Grizz to the shop to have the hose replaced and to also have it looked over because he just bought it and it sat idle for extended periods. I suggested he have the mechanics look it over for safety issues and to establish a baseline for repairs. I'll let you all know when he gets it back.

**check out my pics on the Grizz 350 page**

Matt

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
Smart course of action!
By the way... Has he joined up here yet??
If not; tell him to drop in for a visit...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts