Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on changing the coolant in my Grizzly and I'm looking for advise on a good brand to use. I'm also thinking of adding a Water wetter with it, should I or should I not? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hey Bayou Grizz, just use the green prestone and mix it according to the coldest temps you will be riding? The mixing amounts are on the back label. Stay away from the pink dex-cool stuff, it is junk and GM knows it but refuses to change it out? too much money spent on it i guess? I read on another site that some big firm like a rental company/trucking company is sueing GM for radiator failures as well as other components. My bud runs a rad shop and he says they replace/fix more vehicles now for dexcool related issues than ever before! Stick with the good old green stuff and everything will be fine, it is what the Grizz came with anyways.......Irv

·
Registered
116 Posts
Use the Maxima Coolanol Coolant in it. Or the more expensive Engine Ice, or the Redline Water Wetter, Silkolene Pro Cool, or Maxima Cool-Aid Cooland. These are all very good coolants.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use Cycle Logic's Engine Ice in Both my Grizzly and my Shee

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I use Engine ice. It definately makes the engine run cooler and the Grizzly needs that.
CountryGriz just installed a temp guage and I'm hoping he changes to engine ice to see what the temp differance is in the Griz.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I know the next time I change coolant I will be switching over to the Engine Ice also. I have allready did the first chage that the book tells to do but looks like I'm going to do a extra one when we get back from Moab in Sept.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Is this "Engine Ice" a substitute for anti-freeze, meaning that it will protect below freezing?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advise. I spoke to a friend of mine that owns a ATV and Motorcycle accessories shop in Baton Rouge called N2Motorsports and he recommended I go with the Engine Ice also. Also by using the Ice that I won't need to use any water wetter. I have a temperature guage and I run between 180 and 210 depending on how hard I ride or how sticking the mud is.

Hey Master400, Have you ever been to the Bonet Carre spillway? If so we need to hook up once we get Area 2 reopened. I'm with the South Louisiana Trailblazers and it's starting to shape up for reopening soon.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Bayou, let us know what the temp runs after you make the switch. I've been using Engine ice for about 4 years now in my quads and bikes. I know there is a differance, but I would sure like to see the numbers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The coolant is changed, I went with the Engine Ice. I seems to run about 30 degrees cooler than before. Didn't take it out in the mud or out on the trails yet to see how much of a difference it really makes. Just rode around my yard and over a few piles of dirt I need to get off my rear end and spread out. Also ordered a Tiny Tach to monitor my RPMs to see how hard the motor really works.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Good news Bayougrizz, that sounds like it is good stuff? To repeat dknards question? Is this an anti-freeze replacement? Will it keep your rad from freezing and your bloc from cracking? Just curious if it would be any good for me up in Canada at -40 degrees?.......Irv

·
Registered
339 Posts
Irv...If I remember correctly I looked into that and it does offer protection down to about -25F. That is good for me in PA but may not work up your way.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Thanks DK, i don't think i could take the chance on only -25? It usually doesn't get that cold up here in the winter (southern Ontario) but sometimes it can be even colder! I will just make sure my coolant is fresh and the rad is cleaned well and i should be good to go? I will have to ask some local guy's around here and see what they use? Thanks again........Irv

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Well thats sounds good on the temp drop, looks like I will be switching the Grizzly's over to it this winter. Thanks for the comparsion Bayou.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided to go with it because of how it suppose to help run cooler. Now that I see it works, It's was worth the $20 bucks for a half gallon.. By the way, A half gallon is plenty. A new sales guy try to sell me 2 saying the Grizzly takes almost a gallon of coolant. I don't think I have to worry about the freeze protection down here in South Louisiana. We are expecting temperatures down here this week around 96 to 100. The real test is when I hit the trials.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
We've gotten down to -45 and I've had no problems with freezing. This year we put in-line water heaters on our Grizzlies so they will start easier when it gets cold.

·
Registered
462 Posts
i too replaced my coolant with blue ice,and it does work alot better than what it came with stock,,,,you need to make sure you remove all of the existing coolant before replacing it with the ice coolant

1 - 17 of 17 Posts