Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from having my new tires put on and I noticed the back right CV Boot, where it conects to the hub doesnt seem to have a clamp on it, looks like its leaking grease....

I called the dealer since it is only 3 months old and he told me to put a hose clamp on it, does this sound right? What made me notice it is the boot is out of shape, not in the even uniform shape as the top ones.

Sounds to me that just slapping a hose clamp on may not be the right thing to do?

·
Registered
701 Posts
If it's 3 months old, then I would take it back to the dealer and demand they replace the CV. Good chance it already took in a good amount of dirt and junk. It will end up going bad a lot sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
462 Posts
if its 3 months old,they should have put a new clamp on,but yea a hose clamp will be fine,,,i'd buy a decent one that has the screw that tightens the bands,not the type that has the slots in the band that the screw rides in that tightens it,these you cant get really tight without it destroying itself

·
Registered
462 Posts
doolin,,,,you sniped me!!!!!! lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went back out and looked and both the rear boots are loose, and clamps are off, still on axles but off boots, the right boot is tight to the axle, not full of air like the top ones, its sucked right in. The Left is better but the part that is conected to the hub is outside the clamp. I did call the dealer back and tell him I was bringing it in tomorrow morning. He said you can but I dont have the parts. I told him i dont think the boots are tore, just loose, and he said he needs to order me some decent boots, but he can probably fix those up for now.

I hope this place is a decent service shop, I dont want things rigged up, I want them right.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What really stinks is I just got my Mud Lites put on, 20 minutes ago and I am off tomorrow....

·
Registered
339 Posts
Being it is new I agree that it is the dealers responsibility to straighten this out.

IMO the proper thing to do is remove the axles and pull the boots to check that no water or dirt has entered the CV. Once they are all cleaned up repack with new grease and install new bands, assuming the boots are ok. This is not a real difficult task.

·
Registered
339 Posts
On a side note I have replaced two or three boots already and always have a spare boot, grease, and bands on hand.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will get a couple boots and some grease to keep on hand, I sure hope I can be going in a day or so, I have a big ride planned on December 26, gonna make me mad if I cant go.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Be safe and take some pictures of them in their jacked up state. Yamaha has a tendancy to blame the rider for things going wrong with their quads.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Pa_06Grizz660

I think you should take HooPharted's advice and do it yourself.

Yamaha will absolve itself of all liabilities because you have 26" tires on!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I plan on doing as much as I can from now on. I think its the only way to make sure things are done right.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I ordered my stuff from Gorilla, they have a boot that is heavier than the stock boots. You get the complete kit from them boot, packet of grease, and two bands. Then I bought extra grease from the auto parts store because if you tear the outer boot you still have to take the inner boot off to replace the outer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts