Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after two weeks of ownign my Grizzly I ran over a dead log and it came up and wedged between my A Arm and CV joint. It tore up the CV boot and now I need to take to the dealer, will the warranty cover this? Also, any suggestions on preventing this in the future? I was thinking about getting the aluminum protectors. Thanks

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hi,

Yamaha also makes KEVLAR CV joint covers that are just about bulet proof. They are a bit "finicky to install" check out the old posts on the site. You get a set of four fror the back and if you want, another set of 4 for the front!

If the log passed your current PLASTIC A-Arm gaurd it would also have by passed your "new: metal/aluminium/stainless steel ones!!

If the CV joint is OK and only the rubber boot is broken then price Yamaha but also check out www.ebay.com and www.highlifter.com, they have generic boot covers very cheep!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks the BEast - I'll check it out, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would have to say that they will not cover that on warranty. Which boot has been tore up inner or outer? If it was the outer boot then you have to dissasemble the inner boot and CV in order to repair the outer boot.

When I tore my first boot, shortly after buying the quad, I bought three replacement kits from Gorilla axle and have used two of them. The boots I got from Gorilla were heavier than the stock boots.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I don't think they'll cover it but I'll try and see. I'm going to get those boot covers and the aluminum plates, for a piece of mind more than anything else.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
1BadGriz, before you put on the aluminium plates consider this....

Plastic A-Arm covers take the knock, absorb the impact, and break! they are cheap to replace!

Aluminium/Stainless Steel A- Arm covers take the knock, bend or buckle, put constant presure on your Griz until they are straightened or replaced! they are expensive and cause consequential damage!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is true Beas, I'm taking it to the dealer this morning. I'm going to keep everything on there for now and get those kevlar protectors you were talking about, I'll let you know how I make out.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Here is your part number ABA-2HR95-00-00

They are not cheap at $74 per set of 4

Check the site at:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/accessories/acscitemdetail/5/48/378/1998/all/2/1679/0/detail.aspx

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the dealer got me. The boot is not under warranty (I didn't think it would be) they said 3-5 days to get it and 45.00 for the boot plus 1 1/2 hours for labor - around 157.00. I will start doing this myself. The dealer didn't even know about the kevlar boots Yamaha offers. Time to start looking on ebay for accessories.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think I only paid about $25 for a boot kit from Gorilla which includes boot, bands, and grease. They are good on the labor time, it will take that amount of time.

My personal opinion on the boot cover is that it may cover a damaged boot for an extended period of time causing more damage to the CV. I inspect my boots frequently for tears.

As far as the skid plates go I have had aluminum and metal ones on my quads since my first one in 1985 and they have never caused any problems. First thing I installed on the Grizz was a full set of aluminum plates and would do it again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree DKNARND, i've had full aluminum skid plates since new, no problems. I've replaced 2 cv boot kits myself,not very hard job. bought the boot kits from dealer for $15.00 each (kimpex) seems like a good boot, no problems yet with replacement boots.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts