Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my diff fluids again, only about 500 KM's since the last oil change! I wanted to check for water contamination and I didn't find any, it had a slight bit of shiny matter but not much. I put Mobil-1 75w-90 Hypoid back in. I also adjusted my shocks up to the 4th setting, that left rear is a pain in the "A" double "S" I hope Yamaha makes it easier on any future quad? Went for a great ride today, I love it on the 4th setting! The handling and the ride was awesome! If I didn't have to worry about running out of gas I would still be out there. What an awesome day, it was plus 5, sunny and hardly any wind. I also put my dads new Yamaha Deluxe windshield on my Grizz and it worked great, sure cut down on the wind and helped keep me warm. Sorry, no pics, I forgot the camera.........Irv

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
irv,,, sounds good,,,,, but how many times do we have to say,,, take the camera,,,,,,, I need to do some maintenance on mine too,,, seems like I havent rode it much this winter,, we havent had any rain to speak of since around oct,,, had one small snow, about a inch and it was gone the next day,,,,I bought the high lifter springs for mine a long time ago and still havent got the back ones put on,,, I really like the ft. ones,,, I had two different lift kits on it and maybe it is just me, but i didnt like either one,,, all they done was lowered the shock mounting,, to me that is not a lift,,,, the springs help take the sag out that the old springs had in them and I can haul more of a load which is what I was after more than a lift anyway,,,,, ,,,,,,, ,,,, cg

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Irv, I hope that "shinny matter" was not on the rear diff! That was the first indication i had at a service, 3 weeks before my axles poppoed!

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I figure your gonna have a little bit of shavings (shinny matter) anytime you got gears turning,,,,,,****, I get shinny matter if I think real hard even for short periods of time,,,, if it is real later it turns to not so shinny matter,, ,,,,, ,,,,,, cg

·
Registered
382 Posts
thats about the time the little green fairys come out CG...they have tiny little long neck beer bottles and they bang them together and chant "Warriors...come out to playeeya"

:)

·
Registered
382 Posts
yeah that was a cool movie, I can never forget that scene with the beer bottles tho...I still run around saying that! :)

thats an old one, think it came out in the early eighties? I just remember seeing it on HBO back in the day when if you had a bootleg cable box you had friends!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I think the shiny material is just normal wear from the gears getting a good wear pattern? I notice the same type of shiny material when ever I do the diffs on my truck or car. I plan on changing the gear oil again once the spring mud/slop season is over. I am going to switch to Amsoil Severe Gear when that time comes, nothing wrong with Mobil-1 but the Amsoil Severe Gear is suppose to be a tad better and a lot of guys are now using it. I am curious if the Marine Gear oil would work? It says it still provides 100% protection with 10% water in the oil? Maybe I will try that after I change the gear oil in my boat? Any thoughts on that one?.......Irv

·
Registered
81 Posts
nice its always good to some maintaince. i rode this past saturday and just about lost a right rear tire, so im playing with that tonight and doing an oil change..... its needed the oil changed for A LONG TIME now, but never got around to do it. did ya clean the air filter too? check the rad fluid? dont have to check rad fluid on suzuki cuz its an air cooled beast. well gotta go peel some spuds for dinner... sister said so..... argh!!!!!! hehe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts