Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought i would let you know I did my diffs today, 473 KM's. Changed out with some Mobil-1 75-90, i am going to run about 20 hours then switch to the new Amsoil Severe Gear. Suppose to be a little better I am told? The diff fluid wasn't that bad looking? a little silvery but not as bad as I thought it would be? Anyways, on the back diff(manual calls it the final drive?) There is a sight bolt that you are suppose to loosen slightly? so that oil seeps out and you know you have enough? Well ignore the "slightly" you pretty much have to take the bolt right out before any will seep out! I found this out the hard way when I probably had about double the amount that you need! I was thinking it has to seep out soon? seems like an awful lot to me? etc etc? Anyways so I loosened it further and then eventually took it right out all the excess come pouring out! I had a big rag under the diff so the mess wasn't too bad. Just thought I would share this with you if you haven't changed your diff fluids yet? I also removed my skid plates and man what a pile of mud, rocks, sticks, sand etc gets trapped under there! Might want to look at yours if you haven't already? I also sprayed the frame inside and outside where I could with Rust check, should help it last a little longer now. Take care....Irv

·
Registered
78 Posts
irv the best way to do Yamaha diff's is to measure out the amount that your owners manual calls for. Pour that amount in. Its simple and easy.
Plus on the Kodiaks if you fill them to the inspection hole they will tend to burp gear oil out the diff vent when worked hard.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kodiak, i couldn't find my plastic measuring flask that i had for my dirt bike? It had everthing on it ml, cc, oz and the mixing ratios, i don't know what i did with it so i just eyeballed it and read the service/owners manual. Hopefully it won't burp on the Grizz? Thanks.....Irv

1 - 3 of 3 Posts