Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to change my front and rear diff oil tomorrow and I am wondering if I got the right stuff. It is SAE 80W-90 and on the back says," multigrade gear lubricant for moderate and sever service with hypoid and all other gear types...meets API GL-4 and GL-5..."

Thanks

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
That will work, it covers the right numbers and requirements. What brand is it? My thinking is because the diffs take such a small amount, I make sure I use quality stuff like Mobil-1 or Amsoil severe gear. Oil is cheap compared to new parts so why buy the cheap stuff? But if you plan on changing it quite often then maybe it is OK. My 2 cents........Irv

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, it's actually Moto Master (I don't know if that is good or bad), when I went to CND Tire that was the only brand I could find.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I think Moto-Master stuff is ok? It is not top of the line stuff but it is better than some no name brand stuff that you can buy at Zellers or K-Mart. Keep an eye on it and change it once or twice a year depending on how many miles you do and how much water/mud you ride in? Be gentle on the drain bolts especially when tightening them back up! They are know to strip fairly easy. Fill them up to Yammy specs or you will get gear oil all over the place if you over fill them. Good Luck.........Irv

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Sounds like you have the right stuff Pace31. I myself wish I could get Amsoil around here but seem never to find it, heck I can't seem to even find Mobil 1 gear lube. I usally have to order mine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just purchased CarQuest Premium 80W-90 gear Oil with API Service GL-5, GL-4, GL-3 because I could not get straight GL-4 in the small town nearest me.

Yamaha recommends 80W GL-4.

Here is a quote from another forum about GL-4 and GL-5 which may be why Yamaha recommends GL-4:

{Quote}

"GL5 is a different spec, and is not 'backwards compatible' with GL4.

GL5 gear oil is a lubricant with very high extreme pressure performance needed for Hypoid gears where sliding and rolling contacts operate under very high loadings. This is achieved by incorporating high concentration of sulfurized additives. The downside to such high sulfur in oil is it tends to corrode yellow metals, so can ruin parts like brass synchronizers and some bushings. So any equipment needing GL5 performance is designed taking this limitation of the lubricant into account.

GL4 oils are much more friendly to yellow metals, and so are used in equipment where such high load sliding-rolling contacts aren't present. The designers of such equipment aren't as limited in the use of brass parts. So the bottom line is that if your equipment calls for GL4 it probably doesn't need GL5 performance, and you may be asking for trouble down the line if you use a lube it wasn't designed for." {End Quote}

Ron

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use a 80W90 EP/GL5 lube. While the previous Grizzly owners manuals only called for a SAE 80 GL4 spec oil the new manuals state that you may use a 80W90 GL5 oil (it still states the SAE 80 GL4 oil).

I use dino oil as the biggest contributors to wear relief are in the additive pack and not so much the base oil. In addition I change my diff oils more frequently as draining gets rid of wear particles, foreign matter (no filter) and water.

-- Paul

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Owner's Manual states: If desired, an SAE 80W90 hypoid gear oil may be used for all conditions.

And

NOTE: GL-4 is a quality and additive rating, GL-5 or GL-6 rated hypoid gear oils may also be used.

Ron

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have been using 75-90 wt mobil 1 synthetic in my trucks and noticed there is no metal particles on the differential drian plug magnet when I change it out. That seems to be a good indicator the wear has been reduced. With the dino juice I used to use there was always a big clump of black metal shavings on the plug magnet. I think I will try mobil 1 in my griz as it should be better in really cold weather (like during elk season) Checker auto or Auto Zone here in Arizona carry it so supply won't be an issue like some of the above posts. I am due for my first change next month.

Mobil 1 synthetic is gl-5

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just did my diffs last night and used valvoline 80w90 and said it met requirements up to gl-5. it prob wont be in long anyways cuz i take the grizz for a lot of swims.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts