Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 04' Camo Grizzly 660 and liked it until I bought my wife a 05' Special Edition Grizzly 660.

The 2005 has more torque (a lot more), runs cooler, starts better, and doesn't cut out when spalshing into water. I have talked to various Yahama Reps. and they claim there is absolutely nothing different besides cosmetic things between a 04' and 05'. From what I can tell they are right, but wondering if anyone else has any experience with this issue?

I currently have it at a Yahama shop and having them go through it and analyzing the various components to make sure everything is correct and they have found everything right so far.

I ordered a Dynatek CDI box late last week and hope to gain some horsepower and hoping just to get to the level my wife's Grizzly is at so I don't have to listen to her lipping off. From there I plan to put on a pipe - leaning towards a Big Gun brand - any suggestions?

As far as running cooler and cutting out when hitting a puddle - not sure where to go with that yet. I have taken appart every electrical connection and put dielectric grease in to keep water out and also have checked to be see if water is sucking in through the air intake which doesn't seem to be so not sure where the water is getting to make it cut out - any suggestions here?

Tires - I have Titan 589's 26" on my Grizz and like them, but my wife has the new ITP XTR's 27" radial on the 14" ITP rims and I never realized there could be that much difference in tires with simialr tread pattern and purpose, but her tire are unbelievable. They ride smooth, grab everything, and the machine is more stabil even if it's sitting up higher - my next set will be those.

I'm just looking for any help/suggestions on my 04' Grizzly - I would hate to trade it off just to hopefully get a Grizz like my wife's or worse yet, trade it off for a different brand.

Thanks.............

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Welcome to the sire GrizzX2, I own an 05 and I am quite happy with it. It has lots of power as far as I am concerned but I have nothing to compare it to. I don't know what to tell you why the 2 are like night and day? I know some grizzly's use a little oil and some don't? Some consume more gas than others etc. I am not sure why that is? Maybe some were built on a Monday or Friday?
You put dielectric all around so that is a funny one as well. Did you do your front diff servo's? Are you entering the water faster than your wife? Do you ride identically? Is your rad cleaned out front and rear? You may want to try some engine ice or water wetter? An aftermarket air filter may help with the stumble in the water? Are they jetted the same? Do they have the same plug etc. Look over everything real good and see what differences there are between them. Also check the compression on both quads. Did you do a valve adjustment yet on yours. Good Luck..........Irv

·
Registered
40 Posts
maybe it has more power because it is brand new and maybe your tires are heavier. i have seen 2 four wheelers come from the same dealer bought the same day same everything and one be faster then the other and have more torque. i have seen the same with trucks. i guess it depends on what robot or person is putting it together that day at the factory or if it's a friday.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My wife has an 04 and I have an 05. Power band is nearly identical, the only thing I noticed is that on the 04 in deep snow she can spin easily and mine will bog regardless if in high or low, locked or not as if I need to override something.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Real deep

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey, another Elizabethan!! Naw, that snow ain't deep, it is for our ATV's, but this winter our mountains did better than that!! Nice to see another Coloradoan!!! Dlarcher, where'd you take that pics. South Park? Just a guess!

I haven't had my griz around another griz. to compare to, yet. But like was said above, all else equal, some bikes got it, others don't, some riders got it, others don't!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well so far the tech has not found anything different yet. He has not gotten into the compression or anything, starting at the basic stuff such as component p/n's, etc......

I plan to buy an after market air filter for both machines and were leaning towards K&N, but have heard mixed reports for them on the Grizzly's. I know on my kids racing machines they are awesome.

I had the valves adjusted last fall which did make a difference - they were do according to the service manual/dealership. I only have about 450 miles on mine versus she has about 90 on hers so that shouldn't be too much of a factor.

The radiator has been cleaned from both sides and inspected. The tech. mentioned about getting a fan blade with a higher blade pitch to move more air, but wasn't sure if one was available.

What is the engine ice or water wetter? Where can I read about it?

I think I'm leaning towards the made on a Monday or Friday theory.

I will let you know how the Dynatek CDI box makes or doesn't make a difference later this week - I should get it on Wed. or Thurs.

Thanks Again - Oh yes - awesome picture of the Grizz!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
GrizzX2, I am not sure where to read about those mentioned rad. fluids, maybe try www.waterwetter.com or engineice.com Most motorcycle places sell either one. I am not a big fan of K&N but some guys use them, I just think a UNI or Twin-Air is much better and about half the price. I have heard with the K&N it is very important to get the flange set-up and an outer wear cover. If the K&N ever gets wet, it will collapse and ruin your riding day. I don't think they are a good idea to use on anything other than a street car/truck where it isn't that dusty but to each their own.

You say your valves needed an adjustment at 450 miles or less? I would begin to question the reliabilty/honesty of your dealer? That doesn't seem like a whole lot of hours to have the valves adjusted? I guess it also depends on how many hours you had on it as well? Make sure you clean your rad real good! Use your garden hose pressure only as a pressure washer will bend your fins, wash/rinse front and rear, get right in behind the guards on the inside and flush real good, you will be surprised what gets caked up in the corners. Good luck with the CDI, I haven't heard to many positives about them but maybe it will be what your grizz needs? .......Irv

·
Registered
234 Posts
Irv did you get the twin setup for your grizz yet? i know that you were asking about it. i can attest to the rad problems, everytime i ride and then clean my bike i use a real easy shower setting on my garden hose and spray thru the rad both ways till all i see is clean water, and i spray all over to make sure that i get everything. i actually have had my grizz's heat light come on and that worries me. so im extra careful about cleaning it real well. now as for the valves i keep hearing that this is a problem, is there a distinct tell-tale sign that they need to be done. i have 1900 kms and 144 hours and find the quad has tons of power and no "noises".

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
The valves on the grizz actually tighten up, the intakes mostly. A tell tale sign is when it becomes hard to start with the choke. If your quad fires right up without any fiddling with the choke/throttle etc they are probably good? With your amount of miles and hours it would be a good idea to at least check them though. I did my intakes only as I have read countless times when guys check their exhaust valves they are always within spec.

Brian, I did get the Twin-Air flange set-up, I am happy with it especially now that I can clamp the filter to the flange so now I know all the air entering the engine has to go through the filter first. The stock set-up is just to risky IMO, the front foam on the cage can eventually come loose and/or curl up when you are sliding it back in but you can't see it. I recommend this set-up or something similar like a UNI etc. Just gives peace of mind. I think I gained some of my lost bottom end with this set-up and the power tip? Take care.........Irv

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Can someone point me toward a place to but the twin air or uni set up?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
http://www.nossmachine.com/index.htm

http://www.twinair.com/ These should help.........Irv

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Thanks Irv, just ordered the flange and filter from Noss. I got the Uni as most seem to think it is a better fit for off roading.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Glad I could help, I think either one is good? I have always liked Twin-Air as I use to use them in my dirt bikes. The important thing I believe is the flange set-up so you clamp your filter instead of sliding it in. What did the Noss set-up set you back. I paid $130.00 Canadian for the filter and flange from Twin-Air..........Irv

·
Registered
113 Posts
grizx2 one thing to think about, you both run dif. sized after market tires. From reading some threads about top speed of the griz they tend to slow down as they break in. Most likly due to belt wear. you could have worn your belt abit faster with the 589's. Think about reclutching both bikes. for me I felt the clutch mod was my biggest bang for the buck. walt

·
Registered
234 Posts
ok thanks for the info irv i hadnt thought about the valves till i started reading about it being a problem. the grizz is down for awhile, [email protected]#[email protected]$^@#$%$$ overheating issues and that dam coupler and driveshaft problem but i digress it will get fixed. got my new c-clips today so i can install that and hopefully fix that problem once and for all. the twin air flange is that just an upgrade to the stock air box or does it replace it all together? i like the idea of waiking the grizz up a bit more than i can make all my buddies eat my dust and put their poo-poo's to shame WOO HOO.

brian

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Irv it was $70. plus shipping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for the input.

I have since, but yet to receive a Dynatek CDI box, UNI air filter, and a power cone for my stock pipe. The machine is still with the Yamaha tech. and he is still checking into the over heating problem, but no discoviers so far.

I will have it re-jetted once I install the air filter and power cone, but first I will install the cdi box and let you know the reults and if in my opinion it was worth $200.

Later..........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts