Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, Anyone running different size (height) tires back and front. At the moment I am running MudLites 27 x 10 - 12 all around, I am think of running 26 x 10 - 12 on the front to lighten the front end a bit. Does anyone know if this will cause the transmission to "windup".

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Agree with dooling I would not do that.

·
Registered
289 Posts
By doing what you suggest, you will altering the final gear ratio between the front and rear differential, in a real world situation if you were in 4 wheel drive and on a hard packed/tarmac type ground you could possibly damage mechanicals or actually lock things up and the atv wouldn't move. On soft ground not so noticable as there would be some slippage between the front and rear wheels. I have a friend that bought a new chevy pickup 4X4 and it actually came from the factory with differnt ratios between the front and rear like it had 3.55 in the rear and 3.23 in the front, factory mistake, when he engauged 4 wheel drive on the road the thing would actually slide to a stop leaving 4 black tracks from the tires, they had to replace the front ring and pinion to make things right.I wouldn't do it if it were me.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
You can do it, but you wouldn't want to use 4x4 on hard surfaces, expecially with the differential locked but who does that anyway.
When I use my tracks on just the rear it's equal to using 24" tires. I have 26" tires on the front. The only time I use 4x4 is if the wheels can slip. The only time I would lock the front is if I were in mud or snow so the front tires could slip. I did try it in 4x4 (unlocked) on dry lawn to see how it would react. I made sharp turns back and forth and there was no binding.

You will not have a problem with 1" differance in tires. You could have more than that by running the same size tires but having new ones on the back and worn ones on the front.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts