Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just purchased 26" ITP Mudlites with C-Series type 5 rims for my '05 Grizzly. I was wondering....Do I need a clutch kit? Am I going to wear down the bearings or do any damage or extra wear on my Grizzly? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
701 Posts
from what I've read you'll be fine. You definately don't need the "full clutch kit" Thats for 27 and bigger. I'm planning to go to 26's as well. When I do I'm going to install a Dalton clutch kit. its half the price of a full one and made for 26" tires. www.daltonindustries.com I've also been told that adding this clutch kit with 26's allows it to still feel and drive like a stock machine.

Koko

·
Registered
339 Posts
No you do not need a clutch kit. Run it awhile with the new tires and then determine if you want to add a clutch kit. What you will notice is having to run in low range more in order to have the proper power to the wheels.

I do know that with the Dalton clutch kit your Grizzly will turn the 26" Lites just like they were the stock tires. Any aftermarket larger tires can cause more wear and tear on the machine but with your set-up it will me very minimal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did the same as you and installed 26" Mud Lites. After using it a couple of times I then put in the Dalton Clutch kit. It was not much but it was a noticeable difference without the kit. Its back to normal now and as great as ever.

Sailorman3

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
What I would recommend, if not a clutch kit, is that you at least change out the clutch weights. This will help "regear" you to perform more like when it was with stock tires.

The cheapest way to do this is to order up a set of eight weighs and plastic sleeve for a Grizzly 600. Then start by adding all eight, and if the change is too much, put four stock ones back in (alternated with the new ones).

Rob

·
Registered
339 Posts
I believe the Dalton secondary spring holds a better grip on the belt than the stock spring. This will make it much more difficult to slip the belt, expecially in reverse. It also helps drastically with the engine brakeing on the steep down hills.

You can make changes as RobG mentiones but IMO the Dalton kit is a well thought out kit that works very well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello,

I just put on a set of 26" AMS Swamp Foxes, and I looking into a Dalton kit. Will it work on an '06...

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks, It will be ordered and installed ASAP!!! Then I can pull wheelies again.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
???? do you loose any top end speed with the kits or does the added diameter of the tire comp for it.thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
Tractorboy. I have 26in gators and pull wheelie straight up w/ out a clutch kit or weights. However, I am seriously thinking of adding the clutch kit or weights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts