Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual, refers to stoping dead when shifting gears, L to H etc.
The manual refers to the dangers of switching from 2WD to 4WD on the move because the riding style changes and it can be "off putting"

I am wondering if I messed up my 2WD/4WD switch/relay/motor by changing in and out of 4WD, whilst driving in and out of ploughed fields, at speed last weekend??

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
beast i go in and out all the time while traveling .about 5 to 10 mph never mest up my grizz. bob m

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Beast I go in and out at any speed, just off the gas and then I burp the throttle to loosen the drivetrain so it will disengage. Did this since 2000 on my Kodiak and now on my Grizz and never a problem.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
addicted2mud, I do / did that all the time. Normally at 30-40km/h. Except this weekend I know I was going faster. I am please to hear it may not be my fault! Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
I do stop when shifting from 2WD to 4WD but that is not required except as a precaution to avoid the potential hazard you mentioned. It is called the On-Command 4WD switch so it is meant to be changed while moving. I never shifted into low 4WD while moving on any 4X4 vehicle I have ever used. As far as ATVs go I only have 140 miles on my Grizzly and I have stopped before shifting in/out of 4WD, but would not hesitate to shift on-the-fly if I needed to with my Grizz.

Any shifting while moving will put some extra strain on the power train, but it was designed to be operated that way.

Ron

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Beast, I do as well, I am usually not going very fast when I do though 5 to 10 miles an hour. I do come to a complete stop going into diff lock. I never switch gears while moving either, I always come to a complete stop.....Irv

·
Registered
234 Posts
i agree with irv, shifting between high/low should be done stopped other than that i thru the grizz in and out of 4x4 without stopping. Even had the odd occasion where i had to put diff lock on while moving, all be it i was moving slowly. brian

·
Registered
113 Posts
I also shift as needed between both 4wd and diff lock, sometimes at speed in snow. As the snow gets deeper you shift without slowing. No problems to date but I don't yet have the hours you have Beast.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I never shift from High to Low without coming to a complete stop first. Nor do I ever go into Diff. Lock without coming to a complete stop first. I do shift from 2WD to 4WD on the fly. Never have had any problems on my Grizz or when I owned my Kodiak 450 doing just that.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
o6 that is one great looking machine.love those colors.i put some thin shinny diamond plate over those ugly hazard/warning plates using the same rivit holes and what an improvment.my $.o2 bob m

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
I like to do a "rolling stop"; maybe at walking speed. I honestly think that stopping fully doesn't allow the gears to mesh together as easily. If some Yamaha engineer reads this, he'll probably have a stoke...

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I shift from 2 to 4 on the fly but try to only do it when I'm pointed straight and the tires aren't spinning. I always stop to shift into low or dif. lock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts