Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start, I want to thank everyone who has been donating! You guys are making a big difference in this site. As of right now, there is about $400 in my Paypal account, some from this site, and some from my other sites... and 99% of it is from donations. It's all earmarked for a new, dedicated database server, that should speed up this site quite a bit, and allow me to expand the site quite a bit with a much better search engine and other features too. The cost of the new server is $997, so we're almost halfway there. My goal, actually, is $400 more, and I'll kick in the final $200 (that's all that is in my budget right now, what with a baby due in less than a month). For the computer geeks among us, here's what we're getting: Intel motherboard with onboard RAID
Dual Core 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 (it's the same thing as having two CPUs)
2gb RAM
Three 160gb hard drives setup in RAID array
Pro/1000 PT Dual-port PCI-Express Gigabit NIC, which will go into the current webserver to connect to the gigabit port that's built into the motherboard. This will give us a dedicated super-high-speed network link between the database server and the webserver.
It will be running Linux and mySQL 5 for the database. For those who don't know, the current server that we're on right now (which will remain as the webserver alone) is a Windows Server 2003 box, P4 3.0 GHz (single-core) with 1 gig RAM, and that too will get doubled to 2 gig in the not too distant future I hope (that's another $200). It has a main 80 gig drive and a 160 gig data drive (the drive that went down last week). With the new db server, I will be able to automate some of the backups, so if we lose the webserver, all the site code, member photos, avatars and the like will be backed up to the db server, which, as I mentioned above, will have a three-drive redundant array. It's my LONG TERM goal to eventually replace the existing webserver with another server like the new db server, complete with RAID, and migrate it to Linux as well, finally saying goodbye to Microsft's crappy excuse for an OS. And you guys are all making this possible! Again, a huge thanks to all! Rob

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Well Rob I just want to say thank you also for all that you have done and gave us, I will be making another donation here in the near future also and hopefully not much but we can make the goal and get the update.

Mike

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I too will be making another donation real soon Rob, the new updates sound great. Thanks for all your hard work, effort and especially time. And congrats on the forthcoming birth of your child! At least now I know when my boy gets older this site will be around for him lol........Irv

·
Registered
93 Posts
Please Donate

Again from the STATS page:

"There are 32 supporting members (3.0% of registered users). Supporting members have made donations to help offset the cost of running this site."

Just 3%! That is only 32 out of 1,050 registered members. I know that all people can't contribute, but even $5.00 by PayPal would help. Heck, even a dollar would work.

Donating is not just to get "Supporting Member" next to your handle, but to really help everyone here to have a good stable forum. My modest donation has already been repaid several times over by information I have received so far from helpful suggestions.

Challenge: I just recently donated, but will do so again if the stats go up to at least 5%.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Rob, this post does not come up yellow? I think if it did, it would get more attention and possibly more donations? Can you highlight it and make it yellow like all new posts?.........Irv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Rob, I'm in again, thanks for a job well done!

·
Registered
162 Posts
sending mine tonight ....thanx again rob..and everyone else

·
Registered
93 Posts
Note: I noticed that it does take some time before Supporting Member shows up under your name on the left side of the posting page after you make a donation.

From the Donations page: " it may take up to seven days for the Supporting Member tag to show up under your username."

There is also a delay on the total number showing up on the Stats page (32) while the Donation page shows (33). Way to go #33!

·
Registered
162 Posts
hey rob how did we do ???? everyone needs to pony up and send someting ...5 bucks would add up if we all would chip in ...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I will change my ole southern avatar to a pink flower if we get double what rob needs !!!!!( maybe not pink but a flower!! )

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok, it's worth 10 bucks to have a forum just for grizzly owners. It's not much (sorry) but if everyone chips in.... can you say screaming fast comp?
thx. Rob. btw, I never even thought of contributing till I saw this post - perhaps the issue isn't very visible?

·
Registered
93 Posts
The site is currently up to 37 Supporting Members...a gain of 5.

·
Registered
162 Posts
hey rob can you make this thread stay on top of active topics ???

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Just sent in a donation.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rob,

What is the level of significance of the new Bronze, Silver, and Gold symbols below the Supporting Members names? Some Supporting Members have no symbol.

Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for all you do Rob. I will be sending something soon. This site is so helpful and fun to be a part of. Goodluck with you with your new child and have fun, we have a 2 year old boy and he is my best friend. I bought him a 50cc gas quad for his bday.You should see him ride this thing. As soon as I learn to get pictures on here I will get them up.Keep up the good work

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I'm in again Rob,

Thanks for all the effort.

Come on Lads, let's get this done hey.

Cheers Noel

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ATVrk: Over on the Rincon site, they wanted a way to highlight how much people were donating without actually coming out and saying it. It seemed like a good idea, so I adapted it to all sites. Here's the breakdown: 1-19: No symbol
20-49: Bronze Level (bronze medallion)
50-99: Silver Level (silver medallion) -- yeah I know it's kinda blue tinted)
100+: Gold Level (gold medallion)
BTW, we're at $700 collected so far towards the server... getting very close! Rob

1 - 20 of 43 Posts