Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum . Just opened up the clutch to install a clutch kit and found absolutly zero grease in it. Bone dry. also the o-ring was missing. I have the o-ring ordered, but just wondering about problems this could cause .?????

the kicker to this is that I had the clutch cleaned and repacked(supposedly) by the dealer and have not put 150 miles on it since then.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Welcome to the forum FloridaGrizz, your gonna like it! If you haven't sunk the grizz or taken through lots of water and mud? I would be taking it back and asking whats up with this? I am not sure what you could have done damage wise but I know it can't be good. What year is your Grizz? I am glad I can most of my own work, I hear these stories all the time from all the bike manufacturers. Get yourself a shop manual, at least you know it will be done right.......Irv

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Irv for the reply. The second kicker is that when i took it to the dealer to get the work done it was last Oct and I was living in WV. At the first of the year I moved to FL so it won't be going back to that dealer. The Grizz was acting fine so maybe no damage was done, I'm just waiting on the o-ring to put back together. Griz is an '04.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Welcome to the forum Floridagrizz,

Good thing you caught it when you did. I don't know a lot about the clutch, but I do know if something is supposed to have grease in it and it doesn't have any that's a bad thing. Unfortunately, what happened to you with the dealership is not uncommon and actually seems to happen more with Yamaha dealerships than most of the others.

Be sure and post some pictures of your ride when you get a chance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome Starky. I believe your right and it seems to be widespread. As I stated in the earlier post that dealer was in WV, now down here I went to the local dealer looking for Griz Grease for the clutch and they had no clue what I was talking about. I did get it at another dealer but then when I opened it up and found the o-ring missing I called the local dealer to order it and they said it was not available from Yamaha as of yet, so I called another dealer , they had sold 4 in the last 3 months and did order it for me. What scares me is that the first dealer also is Honda. I just bought my son an 06 400ex and now there is a recall on the reverse gear and they will be doing the work.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't think that you would have done much damage just check the 8 plastic casings the weights push into to make ure they are not cracked. As far as i can ascertain the grease just helps these from hiting the drum to hard when centrifugal force pushes them out. The O ring stops the grease from leaking out under centrifugal force and then get flung all over the drive belt and housing. Good luck Grizzlyspain

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Try this for clutch mtce. Hope this works?
http://www.totallyamaha.com/atvs/tech/clutch/GrizMainClutch.htm

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
In addition to what grizzlyspain said, I think the grease also acts as something for dust and dirt to attach itself to (a filter of sorts) and possibly also a heat sink.

The upside is those little rollers with the plastic covers are cheap... $50 for a set of eight, so if you have to, you can replace 'em cheaply.

I keep a spare set around just for the plastic covers, since aftermarket weights require them; that way I don't have to undo my current ones. I need to call EPI to discluss some clutching issues on mine, which will probably require another set of weights.

Rob

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have just installed EPI clutch kit and it realy does make the difference - now I have some if not all of the low end power that I had with the original tyres and rims (now I have 27" Mudlites).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the input guys. It appears everything is fine, I will order an extra set of rollers to have around. got the clutch kit install and tried it out. It seems to have all bottom end power back that was lost when I added the mudlites. Griz will now stand up again in high gear. I will say that another part I will order an extra of is the o-ring. I talked to Yamaha customer service today, there is none available at any dealer, some on back order and none will be in the market for a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Grizzspain, what type of clutch did you get. I ordered the Sport/Utility one from EPI. It's supposed to give you the bottom end back without losing much top.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Starky - I got the Sport Utility, works great I really do notice the difference. It does not effect the t5op end at all, I was getting 102kpm before EPI and exactly the same after. I have 27" mudlites allround on C5's.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
That's great news, can't wait to try mine out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have read on several other forums that people have found their clutches totally dry. My friends Kodiak 400 was dry when we tore it apart to do some amintenance.
At least you caught it before it did any damage,

Greg G

1 - 14 of 14 Posts