Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I have been checking this site out everyday for about a year now. I have read alot of fun and useful info here, but never registered and joined in on the chatting. Well, I have a 05 Griz with 26" Mud Lites. I put the Mud Lites on it when it only had a couple of hours on it. It still only has about 40 hours on it. I really can't remember what it felt like with the stock tires and rims, but I do know I lost a little bottom end. (won't lift front wheels as easy) I bought an E.P.I. sport/utility clutch kit off of e-bay a few months ago and have been to lazy to put it on. I finally took it to the dealer and am letting them do it. I also told them to check the valve clearence and all the other stuff they do on a first service. I had already changed the oil and filter myself at about 10 hours. Before I took it to the dealer I ran it down the road wide open and got 62mph on the speedo. I can't remember what it did with the stock tires, but i think it was like 67 or 68. What kind of a differecne should I be expecting on bottom end and on the top end. Are there any other mods you guys recomend?(rev box, jetting changes, silencer, air cleaner) I was thinking maybe just an air cleaner and one of those silencer end caps you see on e-bay. Then I would probablly need to change jetting. Any info would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
filter, jet kit, remove the spark arrestor from your tailpipe, with those all done you should notice a difference.
i have a UNI filter in mine and removed the spark arrestor so far.

man i need to get my jet kit in (its in my garage on the shelf) but like you, i to am also to lazy to put it in, its to cold out there to work on it, when i dress warm for outside i would rather be riding it, so i do.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
milferd,,,, it sounds like you are heading in the right direction with the clutch kit for the bigger tires,, not too sure about removing the spark arrester,,,you might be able to get by with it a lot of places but out here in oklahoma you might end up burning the whole state to the ground,,, one backfire and you would be trying to outrun a fire,,, no rain or snow for months now and a grass fire somewhere every day,,,,,,,, good luck on the mods,, and welcome to the site,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,, ,,,,,, cg

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have to agree with CG about removing the spark arrestor. Here in Oregon, you can't ride with out one, and if you do, well you better be ready to pay a hefty fine.....

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm too lazy to jet my bike too, thats why i bought a dial-a-jet kit. Look for a write up this spring. Too cold to work on my bike now and I don't want it to be down in case of snow storm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've added a pro-design K&N kit, and am looking at removing the spark arrestor and getting a power tip. One thing that is holding me back from the power tip is I'm not sure what jetting settings I should do for those upgrades. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I agree with CG and dhyoung, it is bad news to remove your spark arrestor! It is there for a reason and we don't need to give anyone any more reasons to hate quads. I don't think it would make any difference anyways with regards to power? I believe you can still run the power tip with it in as well? I believe Beast does?
I know around here if a forest ever burnt down and they determined it was a quad or a dirt bike that caused it, the tree huggers would have all our riding areas shut down! I don't think any of you guys would want that either? Keep it in please and don't take the chance and ruin it for everybody else....Irv

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes you can use the power tip off of e-bay and still use your stock spark arrestor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I would definitely leave my spark arrester in. I guess I steered everybody off topic a little bit. I don't want my Griz to be loud and obnoxious or anything like that. I just want it to run the best it can and still be "not so loud". What I was really wondering about was the E.P.I. clutch kit. I see some of you guys have the E.P.I. kit. How is it? What should I expect? How much top speed will I lose? I guess I just can't wait to get it back from the shop and see for myself.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Milferd, did you get the clutch installed? If so, how is it working out? I was hoping mine would be done before I got home on leave but the kit didn't come with a gasket and it was taking forever to get one ordered. Now that I'm back in Afghanistan I'll have to have Mrs. Starky get it installed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just picked it up tonight after work! Didn't get home until late so I only got to take it for a little spin around the back yard. It seems to have alot more snap on the bottom end. I will ride it more tomarrow and let you know whats up. I think, from my little spin around the yard, that I am going to be very happy with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just rode my Griz with the EPI clutch kit in it, and I love it. It feels just like it did with the stock tires and stock clutch, or maybe a little better. My top speed only went down a little (62mph stock and 58mph with clutch kit). Also, I checked my speed with my G.P.S. The dash on my quad said 58mph and the G.P.S. said 56mph. I heard when you have 26" tires on your Griz the speedometer is actually closer than it is with stock tires, but I never checked it with the G.P.S. and with the stock tires (just got my G.P.S two days ago).

·
Registered
13 Posts
quick question do you have to replace the gasket or can you reuse the stock one. im getting ready to do my clutch sunday. i didnt realize the kit didnt come with everything.

thanks,

brent

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think you should plan on replaceing the carberator gasket. People have reused it but it is not recommended.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was too lazy to do it myself, so I took it to the dealer to have it done. They put a new gasket in. I don't know if they needed to, but they did.

·
Registered
62 Posts
probably the worst part is getting that damned nut off of the secondary pully and compressing the spring. I didn't have anything to compress the spring, so I did it the red neck way, by using tie wire, and running it through a couple of the coils and twisting them together to compress the spring, I had to do this in a couple ofspots around the coil of the spring, it took a bit, but it worked. I ended up cinching the large nut down in the vise, and using a strap wrench to break it loose..

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Milferd,Glad to hear it works as advertised. Everybody I have talked to says the same thing. The bottom end is so good that you really don't mind the little bit you lose on the top.
Now I have to wait another 5 months before I can try mine out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was thinking about getting the utility kit for my 600, I've got some bear claws on it that are bigger than stock so should I go with the oversized tire kit or the normal kit? thanks.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Welcome to the site Brodie, where is Beachburg Ont? Never heard of it before? Probably the over size tire kit? There are 2 or 3 kits? for different sized tires. Check out EPI's site. Good Luck.....Irv
http://www.erlandsonperformance.com/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts