Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new grizz only has 7 hours on it. Is it normal during run in for the engine to knock on start up? Its like big end or bottom end knock or really loud piston knock but only until the oil picks up.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
mine kind of has a small knock just for a second.make sure when you check the oil dont screw in the dip stick to check level. good luck. bob m

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Mine has had a slight noise since new, I think it is normal? That is a pretty big piston in there and until the oil gets circulated and warmed up a little I think it is inevitable? Has anyone ever ran Lucas oil stabilizer in their quads? That might be enough to take that slight knock out?....Irv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Irv, "they" say, no additives in the oil, It messes up the clutch!

If you read the thread "Valve Adjustment" they talk about an engine knock?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Irv,

I would stay away from Lucas Oil stabiliser, especially if you look at the "tests" done on BITOG http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
Just scroll down to the engine oil section (Delo 400).

I can only attribute the "knock" to a bit of piston slap (we have needle rollers for the big end and "ball" bearings for the mains on our crank).

-- Paul

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Thanks for the "heads up" guys, I never even thought about the wet clutch. I will check out the "BOB's" site, I have it in my favorites but I haven't been in there in a while.........Irv

1 - 6 of 6 Posts