Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and I love it!!! What a wealth of information. I was wondering if anyone could tell me why an EPI clutch kit says its for stock exhaust only. I was thinking of adding one but if I do does that mean I cannot add an exhaust later? (ie: torc) Also I was considering adding an Icat spark enhancer. Maybe I would get better gas milage. Anyone know anything about them.

I have a 2004 Grizz with 27" ITP 589's.

Any info will be appreciated and please keep the tips and advice coming. Great job done by all.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Welcome to the site sdf321, I don't realy know why EPI would state that? They make about 3 or 4 different kits so maybe you were just looking at the wrong kit? I have no idea about the spark enhancer, I have never heard of it? I have heard of the CDI upgrade but not alot of positive feed back on them. How do you like your tires? I just purchased the same ones on ITP type 4's, I have noticed a bit of a power drop and I am in the process of getting a clutch kit myself. Probably the Dalton kit to give me back my low end.......Irv

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Don't worry about the exhaust statement. They say that because their test are conducted on completely stock machines so your results may very from theirs if you have done any modifications to your machine. For normal riding and light to medieum pulling go with the Sport/Utility kit for bigger than stock tires. If you do heavy pulling you may want the Utility kit for bigger tires and if you are an extreme mud bogger you want the Big Foot Mudder kit.

http://www.erlandsonperformance.com/new/ATV-yamaha.php

Here is the web site if you want to take a look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Irv, the ICAT, from what I gather, is relatively new. I read an article in Quad mag and they loved it. As far as the tires go I love them!! I do normal riding and mudding but nothing over the top. I too have a power loss that I am looking to fix, starting with the clutch kit. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you starky, I thought that might be the case but I wanted to make sure. I will be ordering the Sport Utility kit tomorrow. Can't wait to put it in. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Be sure and order a gasket. I think it's for the clutch cover. I was going to have the shop install mine before I got home but there was no gasket and one didn't come in before I had to leave again. I still don't know what it's like to ride with the new clutch.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Try this gasket it's the one you need---
Internal Clutch Housing Gasket # 5KM-15463-00-00

·
Registered
27 Posts
You will love the EPI clutch kit.I just had mine put in a couple weeks ago.I have 26" inch MudLites.With the EPI sport/utility kit it is as good as with stock tires.You might loose about 2 or 3 MPH on top end,but it is worth it on the bottom.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Before you install the clutch do a couple time tests to see how long it take s you to go 100 yards and get to top speed. Then after you install the clutch do the same tests again and see what the differance is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did any of you notice an increase or decrease in your top speed after installing the clutch kit? I've got 27 ITP 589's on my Grizz, and want to get the low end snap back, but don't necessarily want to sacrifice a lot of top end.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Welcome to the site Hannibal, I don't have a clutch kit yet either but hopefully next week? I run the exact same tire as you on type 4 wheels and I want some of my bottom end back as too. I put on a Twin Air and flange filter set-up as well as a power tip and I think I gained some back. With the clutch kit I should have it all back plus some hopefully? From what I have heard I don't think you will ever gain all of your top end back with heavier bigger tires but the difference is only a few miles/Klicks slower....Irv

·
Registered
113 Posts
hannibal/Irv I did the air filter/ power tip mod. and thought it helped, but the biggest bang came from the clutch. I did lower my top end alittle. In a drag race with a king that I won with a stock bike, we were dead evan this weekend. (both of us now have 27" tires). With the clutch I love the low end lock up. It is power now riding. walt

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a UNI filter, as well as the exhaust tip and I've drilled out the baffles. I just ordered my clutch kit, so let's hope it's as good as you guys say!! Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts