Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard good and bad things about after market aircleaners and I have heard its O.K. if you get the outer cover for it.(in other words it wont let too much crap in your carb. What kind of extra zip will I get if I get these two things done?? Is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have a Durablue (Banshee) foam filter, and I use an outerwares over filter on it. I also "gutted" my standard silencer, and then fitted the spark arrestor and a 2" powertip.

The difference in throttle reponse was awesome.

On advice I then rejetted it, 4 times and each time it was worse, (lower top speed, and unstable uneven under 15km/h)

I then went back to 100% standard jetting and settings, and WOW it was awsome again!!

The Griz is natutally "rich" so there was no need to adjust at our high altitude.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I can just throw in a hi-performance air filter in 2 minutes and install an exaust tip and I am flying down the road in less than half an hour??? Are there any downsides to this? Is it true that a banshee airfilter is the same as a grizzly? Thanks for your advice Beast!

·
Registered
462 Posts
after market exaust,and a pro air system will allow your engine to breath easier

if you use a high flow airfilter,your engine is getting more air to the carb,if you stll use the factory jet (i beleive it is a 153.8 mj)you will be running lean,,,running too lean will burn your valves,and your piston

i just did a rejet on my bike yesterday,and my bike as well,seems worse than before i jetted,,,i just have to find the right setup is all,,,MJ size,,,fuel mixture setting,,,needle valve position

well i was hoping to get some input before i started taking it apart again today,but no help,on this board,or the other forum either

i'll stop back in tonight to give you an update

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Gerald, on the Durable site you will see the Banshee ans Grizzly dual foam filter is the same part number, HOWEVER, the bracket that it fits onto is not the same. I could not get a Grizzly bracket in South Africa so my mechanic modified the Banshee bracket to fit, too him an hour!.

So if you have a choice, buy the Grizzly DuraBlue filter complete.

The Outerwares filter is identical and the same part, so do not worry, either will do.

Remember I gutted my exhaust (cut the silencer in two, used an acetalene torch and removed all the insides, welded it shut, put on the spark arrestor and the new power tip and then it went like a bomb!!!

Another way to sort out your exhaust is to remove the end cap, and use a VERY LONG DRILL BIT at least 30cm long and 12mm in diameter and then drill out 10 to 12 holes in BOTH baffle walls.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I run the Proflow setup with a K&N filter on both of our Grizzly's and did not have to rejet. It was rich when I started and now since the filter it made it alot better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I run a 160 jet and twin air filter with the 2" power tip. This seems to work best in my machine. I also did some porting of the alum intake. I ground out alot of metal to make it match the head, so it will flow alot better. I also took the header off and ground out all the weld inside the pipe where it bolts to the head. I gained a 1/4 more opening for better flow. There are alot of things you can do to these bikes to make them run better and at very little cost.

Fitter

·
Registered
462 Posts
i ended up with a 175 MJ,5th clip on the needle.and 3.5 turns on the mixture screw,,,,,i also have 10 UNI Vents in the airbox lid

it took some doing,but i finally got it tuned in,,,,,i think i had the carb on,off,and apart like 8 times

i did notice a differance when i got the clutch kit installed as well,,,bike jumps!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought a R-6 muffler off of ebay. I'm really excited to get this thing installed. It should improve HP all through the power band. With all the muffler mods I've done to the stock muffler, it will be nice to quiet it down a little bit...lol

Mike 0

·
Registered
34 Posts
Who sells the power tip and filter. I am new to the ATV's and really do not know where to look.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hi MwMatzek,

Look on www.ebay.com, do a search for YAMAHA GRIZZLY 660

·
Registered
33 Posts
i just got my uni filter today $22.00 (with your filter inside the air box you do not need the over filter on top o fthe new filter) and my jet kit will be here on monday, i will also be getting a power tip so it can breath a little better without the cost of a canister. my dad just did these three mods on his rhino 660 and he said it was vast improvement in the machines throttle response and power gain, he also added a black rhino performance cdi box. i have to keep up on tuning in the power aspect, i cant let a rhino beat a grizzly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts