Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed some extra lighting on the Grizz. Im happy with them, they have H3 55 watt bulbs, but I would still like more light. The electric system of the Grizz is able to stand the 55 watt draw but I would like to try and bump it up to 100 watt. Does anybody know if the electrical system of the Grizz will take it?

·
Registered
462 Posts
i cant remember what size the Warn Trail lights are,but if you go to

www.gowarn.com

they will tell you,i know there more than the 55watts your running now,and i havnt had any problems with them

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm not sure what the max output of the altenator is, that is gonna be my primary question for the dealer when I take mine in for its first service. My batt went dead after owning it for only 6 weeks, I think the reason is I used to ride with my headlights on due to my riding area. What I discovered was the battery had a 13.5vdc reading while charging but, as soon as I turned on the headlights the voltage dropped to 12.9. I dont believe thats enuff to recharge the battery. I asked if anyone could take some readings for me but it fell through the cracks. you may want to take a few readings yourself, I'm not sure why the voltage drops 6/10ths with the lights on...dont know if thats normal...i would figure it should work like a regular 12 volt system and the regulator hold the voltage steady. I do want to add the extra lights like you have but that will be awhile.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
hey nizzz,,,, im leaving early in the morning,,,, but i promise i will get a reading,,, it might be a year from now, but i will do it,,,,,, I'm pretty sure the warn light are only 35 watts apiece,,, mine are just for looks,,,,, they dont light up any better that stock light which is next to nothing ,,, I put some after market H3 50watts on also and they work great,,,,,, ,,,,,,this is not a real good pic but you can see them,,,, ,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, cg

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
HooPharted, Warn Trail light are 35W for sure.
I just changed my globes to 55W. they work well for me, but then to be honest, I hardly ever ride at night!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
fox you could email grizzhopper for his input.i am know elec gnus but you mite be able to put a second battry in series with the stock one for more storage then plug into a b tender on off riding time. that what they do one fork trucks and alike thay run for long hours. my thoughts.bob m

·
Registered
382 Posts
Bob...my friend...if he puts the second battery in series with the first he will have a 24 volt system, his lights will be bright as 5hit for about 10 seconds when they explode!!!! he would want to connect the battery in parallel which keeps the voltage at 12 volts but increases the current.

an easy way to remember the diff between series/parallel is: batteries in a flashlight are series...when you jump start a dead battery thats a parallel conn.

I'm not sure adding a second batt is the answer anyway, the only time your lights use the battery is when the motor is not running. after your motor is started you can remove your battery and it will continue to run - assuming your altenator is working.

which brings up my question about the voltage drop I discoverd when the lights come on but CG is prob leaving the bar about now and as soon as he sobers up he's gonna take a few readings for me to see what he comes up with.....unless "carmen" is with him :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
man i notice a big differance when i turn on my trail lights,between them,and the stock head lights,im lighted better than any of my friends

·
Registered
382 Posts
kewl CG, if you dont get a chance dont worry, I am curious tho...I can check it out at the dealer but if you do holla yo!

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Nizzle, CG must still be hung over, I went and checked mine out and here's my findings-

-Quad not running -12.81v------
-At idle -14.35v------
-At idle with fan -14.21v------
-Idle w/lights -14.17v------
-idle w/facory lights
and 2- 55watt aftermarket -13.88v------
-idle w/fan & facory lights -14.05v------
-idle w/all 4 lights and fan -13.20v------
-idle w/all 4 lights/ fan and hand warmers 12.90v------

Hope this helps a little. I believe your numbers were a little lower than these.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts