Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this site when I bought my 2004 green grizzly and you guys helped my get it ready for the hills with your advice. I put 26-10-12 / 26-12-12 Mudlites on it and a 25oo warn and it worked perfectly until this year they came out with a limited edition black Grizzly so I sold my 2004 and upgraded 3 months ago and now I have the warn 3000 with remote setup and the warn bumper/trail light kit. I asked you guys a long time ago what were the best tires and you guys said mudlites and they have been great so I got a pair for this one too! I have really recieved good advice from you guys so I want to thank the veterans of this website. I will pester you guys later for advice on the highlifter radiator and gorilla products....later guys, Gerald

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey gerald, As for the radiator why do you want to replace the new one on the grizzly?

for gorilla they are AWESOME but very pricey. You really don't need the heavy duty axles that gorilla offers unless you get some 27" or taller tires or lift the ATV. I personally would not lift the bike as it becomes VERY unstable and wears out the bearings ect...

If you want durablity get ya a set of 27" tires and put gorilla axles on it and you should have nothing break (I ran 27" 589's on my stock rubicon for 2 years with NO problems in DEEP muck).

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
pester away Gerald any time thats what we are all here for :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanxs Xtremegrizz! Marine, I drive at slow speeds quite a bit because I prefer to go up steep stuff slow and I always hear my fan come on. I know that my engine must be hot ( not too hot) but hot anyway and I thought that it would be nice to have a radiator that was so efficient it really never needed a back up fan. I want to maximize my cooling abilities... As far as the gorilla stuff, I can feel when I am in dif lock and turning tight corners that it wouldent take much to break something! Going forward you have full contact with the moving stuff inside the whirly gig but in tight turns I can imagine it wouldn't take much to shave off some metal. What do you guys think? Gerald

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
You should never use 4-wheel drive with the differential locked on hard dry surfaces. This could definately cause you to snap an axle.
I usually only lock the differential when I am in so deep that I need the extra traction and I'm usually going straight for the most part.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree with Starky, I only use the locker when I am doing the "honda 3-wheel drive" thing. When I mean is if I have only 1 front tire turning (and its the one in the air!)

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Well so far for me when I have used diff lock has been during rock crawling situtations where the rocks were dry and there was a fair amount of good traction and *knock on wood* so far I have not had a problem yet with the 25" ATR's. Now yes I have never used it on like black top or cement but have also locked it in once on a gravel/dirt mix to pull my wife out and dug four holes and did not have a problem. So for me so far I guess if I need it wether going around corners on rocks or pulling or even in the mud I will use it.

As far as the HighLifter Radiator I have herd nothing but good things from the people that have them. If I had the money I would think about getting them for me and my wifes do to the slow rock crawling riding we like to do. Before you ask yes we have had the gas boiling issue once so far the first year we were out in Ozark, MO, but so far it has been allright. Just for some reasurance is why I would like to have it.

Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good advice...I won't be using my dif lock unless I really need it. I use it when I am going up a steep hard pack or mud hill at slow speeds. Its amazing how it helps grab no matter what your tires are going over. I do some river bed crossings here in Oregon and if I am going over sandy river beds I do muck better with less air in my tires and I usually don,y lock the dif. If I am going over some of the mountain streams where they are mostly rocks covered with moss and missing big chunks I always lock up....this machine is amazing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts