Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Lads my new Warn 3.0ci just arrived. I bought it on ebay delivered to Australia from the USA for AUS660.00, it is exactly as described, still in the original packaging etc.

Now for the fun part, I am going to start fitting it over the next week or so as work permits. I am after any advice tips etc on not only fitting but also locations for everything from handle bar switch. contactor, remote switch socket, wiring route etc. I want to do it right the first time so if any of you lads have struck problems pass on the tip and I will be greatly in your debt.

I have also taken Beasts adviced and ordered 30mtrs of Plasma rope, should be here in a couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
95 Posts
One piece of advice I'll throw out there is to locate the solinoid in the storage box under the seat. Keep her dry mate.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you want I'll take some pictures of it this weekend and post them up. Definately want to mount the solenoid in the storage box.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The solenoid on my Ramsey winch I located on the top frame tube inside the front fender and have never had a problem with it. I did use dielectric grease on the connections.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

It would be great if you can post some pics for me Doolin64.

I also noticed in most of the pics that the winches appear higher up than where the tabs are on the frame. Are these winches mounted differently our not? They look to be about where my spot lights are?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hi Noel,

Great choice in winch, I have the same and I think its great.
I agree, solenoid in the storage box under the seat. I put the remote switch socket below my ignition switch, works for me. Fitting the winch took me a lot longer than I anticipated, tight area to work in at odd angles!!
I also used a lot of cable ties to keep my wiring tight and close to the frame!! I did buy some heavy duty eye lugs, so that when I ran the wires from the winch to the solenoid, I cut off the extra meter I had instead of rolling it up. I put the handle bar switch on the left side. Another tip was to fill the two main contacts "rubber caps" on the winch with di electric grease. Also when fitting the plasma rope to the winch drum, thread it trough and tie a knot in the rope and just pull it through. Do not forget, you need to wind on the cable under load, ie. on an incline pulling your Griz, that way the rope goes on tight.

I hope this helps, enjoy!!

PS now you can try those impassable places, after all, you have a winch to get you out!!

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Beast,

PS now you can try those impassable places, after all, you have a winch to get you out!!

That is the plan.

I was looking at an ATV site last night "montana jacks"

http://www.montanajacks.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=19

They recommend fitting their Accessory Receiver System, it's a Hayman Reece type setup that allows you to have the winch at the front or back (what ever you need at the time" and also has it up quite high. Have any of you lads looked at these, I am thinking about making one up myself?

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Noel, I forgot to ask, did you get the Warn mounting plate for the Grizz as well?
That is what fits on the tabs !

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I have the Montana Jacks receiver system and love it. I have it on a 2000 Grizz my son rides and have just put it on my 2005 660 SE. It is a great system and built to last. They are great folks and VERY knowledgeable about Warnwinches. They are one of only 2 dealers in the U.S. authourized to work on the winches. Go to thier website and check out the videos. It is great to move your winch to the back to do wokr or winch yourself down an incline. Thier products are expensive but made to the highest spec around. It might be tough to replicate as the attachment points are key and their is very little room. ALso they use a quick disconnect on the wiring for the front and back which makes it nice and easy. Also many accessories for the system.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beast,

I didn't order the Warn mounting plate, I was going to get it local (how much could they charge?). I take it that the winch plate bolts onto the tabs and is bent to give you a flat area above the tabs for the winch to bolt on? I have since spotted the Montana Jacks gear and like the look of it.

Grizzinator,

Thanks for the tip, I have down loaded a couple of pics and I think I can work out the details of the fit. The cost of bringing it over would make it pretty expensive so I will give it a shot or just make up my own standard type mounting plate, I have a little spare time now so I will have a good look at it this week and make a decision.

I do like the idea of having the winch up higher though.

Cheers Noel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts