Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed 26" mudlites on my 06 Grizzly and love them, I can't really tell that I have lost any power but dont do that much mudding and there is no mud this time of year in NW Pennsylvania.

I am wondering if I should use a clutch kit or not? I dont want to do any damage by running the 26" tires and I am a big guy 300lbs. Do you sugest I throw a dalton clutch kit on it or not?

·
Registered
339 Posts
The Dalton kit is a good kit for 26" tires on the Grizz. When I installed the 26" tires I found that I needed to stay in low range much more often to keep in the power band on slow trails. After the Dalton install it was like running stock tires again and I was back in high for non technical trails.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had the same experience as DKNRND, and ended up just selling the tires. LOL Shoulda...bought the clutch kit.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
http://www.erlandsonperformance.com/new/ATV-yamaha.php

It depends on the type of riding you do. If you do any kind of riding that requires low end torque you should get a clutch kit.
Also, you haven't lost any power with the 26" tires, it's just that your clutch now engages at a higher RPM wich means there is more belt slippage.
Check out EPIs web site above. They make different clutches for different riding requirements as well as altitude kits for some of their clutches.
I bought the Sport/Utility kit for oversized tires but I won't know how it performs until Feb.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have not decided on the 26" or 27" tire/wheel up grade, when the stock tires wear down.

But, with either size, I plan to get a clutch kit at the same time.

No offense Pa, but you said your a big dude and you say you can't tell any difference? I think you will see a diffence when you start thawing out and getting more ride time in.

I think a Dalton clutch kit off of Ebay is about $100.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hey man, i wouldnt worry to much about the clutch kit if you do a dyno jet kit for like $54.00 from your dealer, a UNI filter from a local bike shop got mine for like $24.00, and pull out your flame arrestor, and also check the valve lash on your engine. it will run better and no need for the clutch kit. i will have my 26' XTR's on mine tomarrow. but my dads has all the above mentioned done to his 660 and it runs great, it pulls hard all the way through with the work done. mine is next on the list to be done, just got my jet kit last week.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put on about 30 miles a week now, and have had a few days of no snow. I do realize that with the temps in the mid 20's to low 30's that these machines are running at the peak performance. I agree I believe as the ground thaws out and the temps rise I will feel a differance.

I have to say I was nervous last sunday when we turned the corner on a trail I had never ridden to see the steepest powerline I had ever been up. I was rider 4 of 5 and I have to say you couldnt have drove a finishing nail up my a$$ with a sledge hammer until I reached the top.

·
Registered
119 Posts
All right Pa!!!!!!!!!!!!

So how do you get the pucker mark out of your seat?

I have heard of using an iron, but I don't know. ha ha

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to say if I had seen it coming for long and had a chance to back out of it I would have, now I am glad I did I got to see how amazing the Grizz is. It has more gonads than I do.

Sunday was the most intense riding I have ever done and there were 3 grizzlys, 1 polaris sportsman 700 and a 750 Brute Force and never was a grizzly shown up, I am sure if we had been on an open road it could have but for trail riding we were in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts