Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was riding and my bike fouled a plug. That was the first time I have noticed any problem with my Grizzly. It would idle fine at first, but miss and sputter under a load. Then I tried to climb a hill and it wouldn't make it. Finally it wouldn't even run. It appeared gas had been coming out of the over flow tube from the carb. Gas was no longer coming out the overflow. At that time I really didn't know what was wrong. I didn't know if I had a gas line off or leaking or what? I turned the petcock valve off and opened the gas cap. I seen a bunch of air bubbles rising in the fuel. I took the plug out and it was black everywhere. Put a new plug in. Air bubbles where still in the gas. Turned gas on, started it up, went up the hill. I stopped at the top of hill and looked in the gas tank, no air bubbles. Bike ran fine going up hill and still runs fine. Motor is stock, stock jetting, the only mod is a power tip on exhaust. If anything that should have leaned it out a little. Has anybody had this happen ?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hasn't happened to my grizz yet, But I have replaced my fair share of fouled plugs on dirt bikes and sleds over the years though. Even a 12 dollar plug(yrs ago too!) fouled with in a 100 yrds on my KTM. I thought something major was wrong, especially since it had a new plug, but that was all it was. No money back, suck it up and spent another 12 bucks and ran great. Yours might be the same thing Milfred? I don't know about the boiling gas though? Good luck........Irv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I've had a fouled up plug too, just tossed it away. put a new one in, and all was OK. With the mass production of spark plugs, some duds always get through quality control!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoops, I didn't mean to put this post under "suspension". I tried to put it under "drivetrain" and must have clicked on the wrong one. Bike still seems fine with new plug in it. I guess I will be sure to carry an extra plug with me from now on. I still don't understand what the air bubbles in the gas tank was from. Looked like a little air was getting in the bottom of the tank somewhere. I don't think it was "boiling gas". That just don't make sense, but air getting in the tank don't either. I'm stumped. At least it runs fine now.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Good news Mifred, probably just a dud plug like Beast says? The boiling/bubbling gas is confusing though? Glad all is good.......Irv

·
Registered
74 Posts
I ride with several friends who are in a club and go on organized trips. They advised me to always carry an extra plug in my tool kit to have as cheap insurance from failures like the ones noted here in this thread!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had so much confidence in my Grizzly running fine that I carried nothing extra. I still do think it is a great and reliable machine, but I will be carrying a spare plug from now on.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I do too Milfred but the plug has nothing to do with what machine it is in. They all wear out and/or foul from time to time..........Irv

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have been buying my plugs at Pep boys auto parts. They charge $1.79 and the bike shops are usually $6.00 or more in my area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts