Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi every one, i'm new to the site, find the info very good. i,ve had my 04 grizz about 2 years now 3000km, and love every minute i ride it, what an awsome machine. just recently i've had to replace the front diff seal where the input shaft enters due to leaking. to do the job the front diff needs to be moved forward and drive shaft removed,no problem there. when reassembling i noticed the slip joint at the transfer case end of axle has alot of side play. grabbing the cv joint you can move a good 3/8" from side to side. i'm concernd this may fail in the near future. i talked with both local dealers, not much help, they said they never had a problem with this. i've checked new 660's, they only have a very small amount of play. i don't think i drive my quad overly hard so i dont know why this is like this. i would be interested if anyone else has had this problem with thier 660's if so what did they do. thanks in advance for any info you may have. i look forward to your responses.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I cant help you ,,, so far no problems with my 05,,, around 1250 miles,,,I did see the rear seal where the driveshaft enters the engine is leaking a small amount of oil but Im not going to worry about it yet,,,,,, but welcome to the site,, Im sure someone can help you,, ,, ,, ,,, ,,, ,,cg

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
i have to replace my front diff. seal as well, ( hope its soon on the road working ) I'll let you know if i find any thing ted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an 04 grizz I also have play in my shaft and the seals were also replaced still play in the shaft yamaha says its normal I checked several others and they are the same way I have over 4000 miles on mine and no real problems I wouldnt worry about it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input. i checked a friend of mine's grizz this weekend, same as mine. I guess i wont worry about this for now. was out on a good run this past sunday, the weather has still been giving some great ridding time. 15degrees celceius and sunny, dosnt get much better than that in november here in the maratimes. Was wondering if anyone had any oem grizz wheels 4 sale, if so I may be interested. one of mine is badly bent,cant afford to up-grade yet. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am also new here.I have the same leaking front seal.I looked in my service manual and it does not show how to take the front shaft off.Can you give me some tips.Does the front diff or axles need to be removed to replace the seal.How about the boots?Any help would be great.thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi banshman, welcome to the site. the front seal is not that hard to do.First thing to do is remove right front lower control arm. then there are three bolts to remove from front diff. the front bolt is long and passes right through the diff with a nut at the end. this long bolt is why the front control arm has to be removed, will not clear to come out. once diff is loose lift out of frame and move forward not much room there, but it doesn't have move far. the drive shaft should pull out of diff and then transfercase, splined joints at both ends,(dont loose spring at transfercase end of shaft).once you have the axle out the cup at the diff the axle was in, remove nut inside this splined cup, you'll need to hold cup with large pair of channel lock pliers or something simalar. the now just pulls off. the seal is now accessible to remove and replace. reassemble in reverse order useing manual for nessary tourqe specs. note front drive shafts to the wheeel do not have to be removed to do this job. have fun, always glad to help when I can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts