Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced the boots on the front driveshaft of a 2003 and newer 660 grizzly. Yamaha sells the part as a whole unit, but I was wondering if the CV can be taken apart like the axles and a new boot installed. It seems stupid to have to replace the whole axle when it is in good condition and all that is wrong is the boot being torn. I can't fix the old one any way cause it is pretty mangled. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated or if there are any aftermarket or used ones kicking around as well. Or if anyone knows where this could get repaired.

This is the boot on the front driveshaft and not the axles.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Highlifter sells a universal boot and clamp!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Try www.atvtires.ca They are a Canadian company and they maybe a little cheaper than buying from the states? Good Luck and welcome to the site "giver"............Irv

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'm not talking about the CV Axles. It's the CV for the front drive shaft that needs fixing and I was wondering if anyone has ever repaired or replaced and if so how or where?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Rarely hear of any problems with the drive shafts other than the seals into the transmission sometimes leaking. Don't know if it is repairable or not, this will be an interesting topic.

You may want to head to Highlifter and try a search there although it may be tough to narrow the search down to a specific topic to eliminate a bunch of crap. Over there is where I have read about drive shaft issues at one time or another.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Is there any way to use an axle boot on the drive shaft. It doesn't make sence to have to replace the whole drive shaft unit just for a torn boot.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Another option would be to try some ATV salvage web sites.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If I understand you correct you just want to replace the rubber boots on the axles. If you want to do this there should be no problem I have replaced the back ones on several occassions without much hassle. My Yamaha dealer just opened some axle packs took out the boots and sold them seperatley to me. I would image that the fronts are no harde than the rears to replace. I have also seen universal boots advertised somewhere on the net. Sorry can't remember address but for sure a Google search would throw up something. Good Luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See this is the thing. It is NOT the AXLE. It is the boot on the front driveshaft and according to Yamaha there are no replacement boots, but just the new axle as a whole unit. I want to know if it can be taken apart because I will try an axle boot on it even though it is slightly longer. I can not see a c-clip to take out to get it apart. This is the front boot of the front driveshaft and I do not know if maybe there is a c-clip on the back joint on the front driveshaft, but I don't want to take off and damage that boot also if there is no c-clip there. I have heard that some cv joints have to be pounded off damaging the c-clip only to be replaced upon reinstallation. I want to know if anyone has ever had one of these apart and if so how?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well tried to take the driveshaft apart the other day. Hammered on it with a piece of board to try to get the end off, but no luck. I have heard about c-clips that are hidden so you puond them off and replace them when reassembling, but I don't think this unit comes apart.
This is one poor design. Rubber boot rips and your out $500.00. Way to go Yamaha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts