Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all the recent posts on shocks for the griz. I have a 06 griz, and ride it pretty hard.( for an old guy) I've noted that it is quite tippy, in fact i have already been over once on a hard corner. It seems the front end is quite soft and it dives hard on the outside front corner when making a hard braking sliding turn. i have already adjusted the preload to the firmest setting in the front. would stiffer springs help? Wheel spacers? lower it a bit?
i also feel a bit over on off camber trails, esp uneven deep ruts.
I'm running 25" mudlites on stock special edition rims.
thanks for any and all advice.

Cal

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had the same problem on my 02 grizz and ended up replacing the front left shock...$230 CA. However, I don't believe this would be an issue on a new model like your 06. The preload setting at the firmest would certainly not be as soft as you described. I'd bring it to the dealer and ask to replace the shock. Does it dip the same on one or both sides?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Cal, like I said in the PM, One thing that will help those sharp turns, off camber action, and the tippy feeling is/are SPACERS or offset rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Oh... I forgot.... if you have a VERY BIG WALLET then Elka Shocks too!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GrizFan, you know, its seems to dip worse to the left. I'll ask the dealer to check the left front shock.
Beast, thanks for the PM. Are you using 2" spacers? Did you try 1" or 1.5 first? Have you noted that tight places you used to slip thru in the woods are a problem with the wider stance?

Thanks all

Oh, yeah......what brand spacers?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Cal, I', in AFRICA, I am not spoilt for choice, there is one brand of spacers available here, RICLI, and they are 5cm wide which is 2".
It is tighter in places, but my overfenders created that problem anyway. I am faster in and out of the corners though!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm going to try 1.5" highlifter wheel spacers. If not enough then add the replacement springs from highlifter. Anybody know if they add height??
I hope not.
My local yamaha dealer told me the wheel spacers would add alot of stress to the cv joints and i might break an axle. thoughts?
Saul, I priced a set of front elka shocks/springs for the griz.....about 450.00 for the pair. This is for the non-resevior type.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Cal are you using a lot of body english or just sitting straight up in the seat? I ride mine on the MX track and can slide it around off-camber turns like a sport quad. One problem is the stock tires have very soft sidewalls that tend to roll over in tight corners. Try softening your rear shocks a bit so you have a little squat in the rear, lean way to the inside and stay on the throttle.
Oh, I see you have Mudlights so it's not a tire problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts