Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the website, also new to Grizzly 660 ownership. Recently picked up an 04 Griz that has been well used. 2500 plus milage, repaired several leaks on front dif and the rear output and complete brake job. While visiting the site read some discussion on front wheel bearings and how check them. Well, mine are toast. I also have a 03 Wolverine with service manuals. I assumed the front ends are similar. So I read up on the subject. I began disassembly, everything is going smooth until I try to remove the outer nuts on the axles. I am not sure if they are left handed threads or not. I can not get either one to move in either direction. So I breakdown my Wolverine and they are the normal threads(lefty loose-righty tighty). I went back to the grizz and tried my 1/2 impact and proceeded to my 1" breakover bar w/ 24" handle. This was all a wasted effort as they still refuse to move. ANYONE with this info it would be greatly appreciated. I about to break-out the rosebud and heat them, I don't want to but!!!
Thanx

·
Registered
234 Posts
according to the yamaha repair manual its just as you said lefty lossey righty tighty, did you remove the cotter pin in there first?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had the same problem. I had to take my grizz to an autobody and have them remove it with their impact gun. Mine didn't have enough power to break the nut loose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the info, there was no cotter pin. The axle nut had a outer shell that is crimped into the keyway slot. Not sure if this is an aftermarket thing, but the parts catalog does not show a cotter pin. I will try again tonight. Thanx again!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Newer models are crimped as you describe, I replace my bearings every 1000km or so as I do a lot of riding in water and they always start to go between 500 and 700kms, I am sure that I could get a lot more out of them but I would rather be safe than sorry! I get mine off with an air impact wrench.left is definetley the way to go to loosen them.

Good luck - GrizzlySpain

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem about a month ago. I first removed the tire and rim, than I removed the center cap so that I could get to the nut. Than I put the tire back on. With the cap removed you can put the socket on the nut with a breaker bar and cheater pipe. I had a friend sit on the quad and hold the brake while I bounced on the breaker bar to get the nut loose. Yes you want to turn it to the left to loosen it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Thats the same torque as the wheels on my truck! I break mine free with a good Johnson Bar about 2 to 3 feet long. Good luck, it will come.......Irv

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent info, everything went well, once I broke them loose. This took a 1" breaker over bar and a 3 ft. cheater pipe on both sides. First one took about 2.5 hrs. the second less than an hour. Then just for the fun of it I decided to raise the rear and check those too. As I expected, the need changing also. My local dealer will again be glad to see me coming. Anyone know of an aftermarket bearing or dealer? At $58.00 apiece it can get expensive. After this ordeal I will change or at least breakdown and check them yearly. Once again thanx for the help. Anyone close to LA. we have the Marengo Swamp Suicide Ride the first weekend in june. Rode in it the past 2 years and it is a nightmare. Started at 10am finished midnight. Well didn't finish had to refuel and go back and find my friends Polaris that was broken down. He just left it in woods and walked out. Finally back home @ 4 am.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey sjzerr

I know the Marengo Swamp ride very well. Made it thru the past 2 years. Last year being the hardest. Mud so sticky adding a extra 100lbs to the bike. Had the Grizzy running a little hot a few times. Changed over to Engine Ice coolant and hoping that it will let me make it thru again this year with no problem.
Be on the look out for us this year again. We will have Orange club shirts with South Louisiana Trailblazers on them. We will have some campers set up across from the Little Baptist Church only the main road to the ride. Stop by and say hello.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bayou Grizz, I will keep my eyes peeled for your group. I am trying to get everything ready for the trip. Where did you find "engine ice?" I looked all over town, came up with something called "water wetter". Says it will run 20 degrees cooler than normal. As you know, it is all about "survival in the swamp" this will be my first trip with a grizz and I can't wait.

·
Registered
152 Posts
sjzerr
I got mine from a place here in Baton Rouge. N2Motorsports is the place and they sell it for $17.00 for a half gallon. Plenty enough for the grizzly. Done hit the Bonnet Carre spillway a few times since I changed over and it seems to help the griz run cooler. In fact I going get another jug to have for a spare because it getting hard to find it. Dennis Kirk and Rocky Mountain also sells the stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bayou grizz, thanx for the info. I will search the net and find some. Getting everything ready for Marengo, do not want to left on the trail.
See Ya there!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a front axle seal leak, so I decided to change the front bearings while I was at it. I got my parts from Bikebandit, the front bearings were about $48 a piece, I believe and the seal was $13 or so! The axle nut was much easier for me than getting the bearings pressed out! I used a 1/2" impact, and the nuts zipped right off. I did, however, spray them with a break-ease spray(don't remember the product name that I used at work), and let them soak for a little bit, so maybe that helped?? My bike has about 950 miles and the front bearings weren't gone, but on thier way out, dry and loose.
I also made a new front skid plate and front A-arm protectors out of some scrap stainless steel. They turned out pretty good, for a poor boy that ain't no fabricator!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ordered some new front bearings today but they won't be in for a week. Just looking through the service manual trying to get an idea on how big a job and I have a couple of questions.

1. Do you have to remove the front fender or can the job be done around it?

2. Barring any problems how long will the job take?

3. While it is apart what other parts should be looked at for replacement?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Hi Tin,

Welcome to the site mate. I would not think the fender would have to come off.

I would think that is is only and hour or two per side. As to what other parts may need replacement, that would depend on how many hours and how hard those hours were.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Welcome tinpusher, I agree with Noel, I doubt the front fender has to come off. Just take your time and all should be pretty straight forward. Good Luck....Irv

·
Registered
701 Posts
To replace the front bearings you don't have to remove the front fender. The only problem I had with disassembly was the axle nut. Other than that it was pretty easy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts