Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some ideas on getting the front wheel nuts off of the driveshaft. I have put heat, oil and everything else to it but no deal. Any suggestions? I also need to figure out how to secure the wheel other than the front brake. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
i think they are tightened to around 145ft.lb.,,,, pretty tight,,,never had mine apart but make sure it is not a left hand thread,,,,,might try a good 2x4 between the lug bolts and hitting on the ground to hold it,,,, one thing I would try to do is stay away from any heat,,,,,,, a air impact would be the way to go,,,,, would loan you mine but dont have that much hose,,,,,, good luck,, cg------also If you dont have a air impact you might try a good breakover and socket and a big hammer,,,, a few good hits are better than a solid pull,,,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Its definately not a left hand thread. I have the new nuts that go on there. You have to get new nuts because they put an indentation on the nut at the factory to keep it in its place. I guess I'll try the 2x4 to hold it in place. If that doesnt work I'll get an impact wrench. Here is a picture of the dent they put in it at the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
ok,,,didnt see that before,,,, might try a punch and hammer, see if you can come in from the bottom and hammer up on it,,,, to take the indention out of it.........cg

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
GK660,

As CG said, only turn the hub so the indent is on the bottom and tap down (easier). If you open that indent just a tad it should make it a lot easier to undo the nut.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
270 Posts
The factory put that dent in there? I have to believe there is an easier way to keep a nut on than damaging it? Cotter pin anyone? I know not in this case, but something has to be better that giving it a good whack and denting it.

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whew !! Glad thats all finished. I tried the 2x4 method to no avail and ended up getting an impact wrench from Home Depot for a 100 bucks. Glad I did cause it only took about a 1/2 sec to get it off, and I'll always have it for when I need it again. Other than that the job went pretty smooth. Well I guess I'll go put another 2800 miles on it and then do it again. Ok thanks for the replies. Out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts