Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 grizzly with about 50 miles so far. I have heard some talk about gas boiling and engine overheating. Should I expect problems also. This atv has been great so far and hope I dont have to worry everytime I ride.Most of the talk came from people in my club. Thanks for any help or info

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yours will be fine. It was the 2003's with the solid side pannels that heated the gas. Yamaha had a free upgrade for them. We have an 03 with the upgrade, an 04, and a 05 with a total of 8000 km's and never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Welcome to the site MASALAI, Cockerd is right, those were earlier grizzes and Yamaha came through with an update. The over heating can happen to any quad, just make sure you keep the rad cleaned out after your rides, clean the front a back out with a garden hose. If you use a pressure washer you can bend the fins very easily and this in it self can cause overheating. Congrats on your new Grizz, you will love it............Irv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Welcome to the site MASALA1
As always, Irv's comment is "spot on"!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I am the only grizzly rider in my club so they are on me hard.I stopped racing motocross last year and decided to ride atvs. I am getting older if you know what I mean.Always had luck with yamahas so got a grizzly.2 inc exhaust tip were can I get that and would I have to rejet or anything.I have a [email protected] filter and mud lite 26inc tires so far. I do not want to go to crazy with mods.Thanks again for the welcome and the help.

2006 grizzly

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
exhaust tip, you can get on eBAY !
You dont have to rejet, you can drill holes in the baffle.
Search old posts for "exhaust tip" for all the info

http://www.grizzlyowners.com/index.cfm?action=thread&catid=58&topid=211&thrid=23819&posthist=-24

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Well wecome to the site but I have a 04 and have had the gas boiling issue on both me and my wifes. Was doing some rock crawling in MO and also had a minor issue while in Moab UT. I now have just recently changed out the coolant and put in Engine Ice to see if that is going to help. BTW have the vented side panels plus the heat kit all we standard on the 04's. Some to have the problem and some don't.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cockerd, Yea I could not belive it but its true one other rider with a kodiak 450. Hondas and Polaris are what most are riding. There is a few Kawasakis and two King Quads. How do think my Grizzly with run with a Kind Quad 700.So these guys are busting my hump every chance they get about the Grizzly. Now they said I should bring extra oil with me when riding whats up with that.Its all in good fun but a couple of them are starting to get on my nerves.Like I said I only have 50 or 60 miles on it so far.Trails do not open untill April 1. So untill then I guess I will have to suck it up.I hope this thing does not let me down. Now that I have been looking I am finding some issues I do not like to here. oil use,gas boiling ,weak axles. I know you can find bad reviews with anything.But it makes me wonder still. By the way what brings on this gas boiling and what happens can you here it does it run bad ect? Thanks

2006 Grizzly

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
You changed your handle? Ride Hard, I like that better. Those guys are just gettin ya going, the more pissed off you get, the more they are going to tease, bug you! They are probably just having a little fun at your expense? You have nothing to worry about, your grizz will out shine all of those bikes and then some. Not all quads are problem free, some have more troubles than others, namely Polaris. Some Grizz's use a little oil, some don't? The gas boiling issue is long gone, they put vented side panels on to take care of this. The weak axles were the 03 models but you can still break them on any quad depending on how big/aggressive your tires are and what type of riding your doing. If you are in a nasty mudhole giving it lots of gas and you catch a root or rock, you can break them. How many sites do your frequent? Check these sites out and go to all the posts of Honda, Polaris, Kawasaki, Suzuki etc and see for your self that the grizz has the least amount of problems. And don't forget more people own Grizzlies than any other big bore quad! They didn't get to be number 1 by being second best. www.atvtime.com www.atvfrontier.com www.highlifter.com Have fun and enjoy your new quad, ride within your limits! not your friends! Don't be the guinea pig, if they are trying to get you to prove your grizz tell them to do it first. It will not let you down if you don't let it down, maintain it and use common sense and it will out last, out perform any of your buddies quads any day except for the Kodiak of course. Enjoy..........Irv

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thinking when the time comes to show what you got, I will show those good old boys what a grizzly can do. I am sure the grizzly will perform great.I just gotta relaxe a bit because it is a good club with good bunch of guys. I will say when I pulled in with the new Grizzly it was like I was from a another planet.The guy with the kodiak is happy. Alright Thanks for all the help and Iam done worring about it and am just going to ride.

2006 Grizzly

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ride Hard. The only one you mentioned that will come close is the King Quad and the only reason is that it is alot like the Griz. Even with all the new quads out, the griz is still the #1 selling quad in Canada. I have a Grizz and I bought 2 for at work and they are excellent bikes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Another thing I forgot is the after market parts. There is more after market parts for the Grizzlies than any other quad. Even a lot of the companies that make the sport quad parts make stuff for the Griz.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has no one else noticed boiling gas in the newer machines? I had it happen to me last weekend here in SE Texas, it was about 100 degrees outside and when I stopped after about an hour or pretty hard riding I looked and my gas was boiling in the tank. I have an '06 with about 50 miles on it. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did a ride here in AZ at ranges of about 3000' to 6000' plus and it was well into 100 degree territory ...

I have done considerable research on this boiling thing and grizzly's and without having an extreme test fleet, I think the variables are this:

Gasoline is a volatile "solvent" ... It vaporizes very readily when warmed-up ... When the engine bay/lower gas tank area starts suffering heat soak, the gas holds a lot of heat being it is a 5 gallon tank ... I ride with several ranchers and a rincon and that day I was riding my new 500 foreman ... If you listened after they sat a while in the sun, they were "boiling" the fuel in the tank ... boiling meaning, excess fuel vapor in the free-space of the tank starts making a "boiling" noise and venting through the fuel system ... (cap) ... There are many formulations of gasoline in different parts of the country and in this many gasolines have different "vapor pressure" specs ... meaning some gas will volatize sooner than others and cause more vapors to the point to where fuel can "flash to vapor" when it hits a hot intake ...

Fuels with high ethanol content can and will vaporize faster sooner ... for example ... There are high elevation and low elevation formulas, and summer blends (high aromatics to lower hydrocarbon emissions) and winter blends ... My guess is if you have a fuel blend in your area that is inherently blended to volatize based on your area regulations, elevation, etc., etc., the grizzly being what it is, may still even under the right conditions, in certain areas have the issue even with the heat fighter kit update ...

Here are some tips you can do to help keep vapors DOWN in your tank ...

1. Try to keep it topped off on the hottest of days ...
2. If you plan on riding at high elevations, do not buy fuel at low elevations and drive to high as formulations can be different ... Solvent's properties change the higher you go ...
3. Don't park in the sun, park in the shade ...
4. If you have a volatility (boiling issue) try a different brand or add some Berryman's B12 which is mostly Xylene and it will increase the boiling resistance a bit along with bumping octane a bit ...

5. You can try running engine ice or water wetter, or run the bigger radiator from HL to try to slow some of the heat-soak, and run a continuous on fan switch bypass to keep the engine bay circulating at low or idle speeds ...

Finally, a little trick a few of us 450R guys do is we drain and completely rinse and flush our cooling systems of all green coolant and run a full flush of 50/50 dexcool and dump and refill ... It has improved surface tension over the green and we at least in our quads have proven it to run the oem cooling systems more efficiently ...

I have a very good friend that was part of developing this atv at Yamaha and worked for Yamaha for 16 years and we have discussed the dexcool thing and he as well says it is worth the effort to convert ...

It will not be one thing that you do to hedge against vaporizing fuel, but maybe a few things combined ... If you have an issue that is, otherwise don't sweat it ...

dez_griz

·
Registered
12 Posts
I work in the refining/petrochem business here in Houston and am all to familiar with the characteristics of LPG. The relative vapor pressure of gasoline is around 11 psig. What concerns me however is this was boiling liquid which can be catastrophic if not vented properly meaning a clogged vent system could cause tank overpressuring... I think everyone should make sure your cap is functioning properly. I may run with the louvers off the sides next time out to see if it makes a difference. Any places I can go and find the Dexcool?
Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
wal-mart any parts store it is used in all gm vechicles so its about as hard to find as gas

·
Registered
809 Posts
I know someone with an 06 and it was overheating/boiling like crazy too ... mine was fine, same mudholes, same trails, not even the coolant light came on. Go figure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 05 has a bad problem with boiling gas. If the temp outside is 85 or higher it's going to boil if I trail ride. It gets so bad that it vapor locks and dies. My dealer says there is nothing they can do about it. It has the louvered side panels and all the updates for this problem. Other than that I love my grizzly, but it's been a warm summer on a quad that won't stay running.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I ride with an 05 450 kodiak and on a 95 degree day of slow (tough, steep and tight) trail riding we both boiled our gas. I believe this is the biggest reason Yamaha put the gas tank under the seat on the new Grizz. It's the only time it has happened to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts