Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 05 Grizz, didn't have any trouble with the stock tires until recently. I don't do any deep mud riding, but do often end up climbing over big rocks and logs where I ride. The stock tires seemed to be fine for everything but that as it didn't take long for me to puncture the sidewall on one and have the sharp end of a broken branch punch a hole in another within a week. Thankfully, it wasn't too far from my camp, but I do plan to take longer trips in the future. Do they make tires that would be more puncture resistant than the stock ones? Maybe more plys or thicker sidewalls? Not too familiar with this stuff as this is my first quad. Thanks.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Theres tons of tires out there. You'll want a good 6 ply tire. Go too www.itptires.com they tend to have really good tires at a good price. Best deals are found on ebay. Look into the "holeshot atr's" for the type of riding you described. I just ordered a set of the new Outlaw MST's. These can be found at www.highlifter.com

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Sounds like Maxxis Bighorns is what you need? Check out their website maxxis.com and see what you think? Congrats on the new Grizz!! Sounds like your as smart as me picking the Grizz as your first ATV. LMAO I figured i might as well buy the best the first time!.......Irv

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are 6-ply the "thickest" made? No doubt we're talking some serious weight per tire beyond this. Just curious, I think the 6-plys will be fine. I wonder what ply the stock tires are... I actually never had a problem going through muddy areas or climbing over stuff with the stock tires, but like I said they just didn't hold up well against sharp rocks or other objects I was riding over. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And Irv, you are right, it was a great decision for me to buy the Grizz as my first ATV, I can't say enough about the machine. I was a bit worried that I was buying a machine too big for me to handle as my first ATV, but it didn't take me long to learn how to handle it. I had also considered the Prairie 700 and the Rincon, but the Grizz had everything I wanted/needed. The engine braking is awesome, especially useful when traversing rough terrain downhill. I tested the Kodiak 450, and it was nice, but the bigger machine just felt right. Now I just need to find some tires that can handle the stuff I ride over without getting punctured. Any other places to get a good deal on tires?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Big Horns is what you need!!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
As far as a thicker ply tire goes any aftermarket tire would be better than the stockers. I know the Bighorns and the ITP ATR's are some of the big tire choices you here alot about.

I personally have the ATR's and do alot of rockcrawling and so far am vary happy with them in all the conditions I have been in so far.

Im sure no mater what tire you chose though you will be better than the stockers.

Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
jcnhwildcat

Hi im little kodie and i think that you would be happy with the big horns.
Another great tire you could get is mudlite. There amazing, they are nice and smooth riding and great on rocks, aslo in mud 2 . www.itptires.com and go to the before and after. you could see how they look on the grizz.
The picture that i am goin to show you is the 660 griz on the itp site, With a lot of different tires .Hope you find what you are looking for..

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Ok I want to get in on this picture showing...:) BTW my digital camera I was using at the time was not real good that is why the color looks so different.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
ok one more

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Maxxis Bighorns 26"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts