Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there I was, for the past 3 months helping a Friend build his house. Unfortunately my Grizz has been neglected and not started. Well the house building is over now and last night I tried to start the monster. But nothing happened. The grizz turns over but won't fire. The fuel valve is not off, I had just changed the oil through my dealer, I took the air cleaner off and the smell of gas is in the air. I even removed the spark plug and put a little fuel in, then tried to start the beast. Still nothing. The spark plug is black at the end. So I was thinking of purchasing a new one tonight. I just bought it last Aug and it only has a few miles on the beast. Does any one have any advice of tips that might help me with the issue? Please?

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
The spark plug is a good start and my first guess also. Maybe drain the bottom of the carb at the same time. Let us know if the plug doesn't work everybody will have lots of ideas for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... How do you drain the bottom of the carb?

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
flooded if you can smell fuel,,, take the plug out and crank it over for a few times to get the fuel out of the cyl.. then grab a new plug and put in it,, if you dont have a new plug you can probably clean the old one,,, clean it real good and make sure it is dried out,,,,,,, mine has done this on several mornings when it was real cold and i gave it too much choke,,,,,, just make sure you crank it without the plug long enough to get the fuel out of the cyl,,might not hurt to put the plug in the spark plug wire and ground it to make sure it is getting fire before putting it back in,,,, ,,,,, good luck,,, ,,,, ,,,, cg

·
Registered
32 Posts
650 : I also have a '05. BE CAREFULL how you choke this machine !! I over choked mine just once and fouled a plug. Only take the choke out halfway when outside temp is warm. It states in the manual the settings for temps. A page I over looked on the starting part !!. Also this gives you a real reason to carry a spare plug !! P.S. I cleaned the plug as grizz did but had no luck until I put a new one in. Take Care.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I always crank the choke full on and then put it at half way once it is running. You may want to try and heat the plug with a cig lighter and put it back in quickly, I have done this many times on dirt bikes and sleds. Your gas has probably gone bad and it could be varnished up in the carb? Did you put a fuel stabilizer in it before the long storage? It may also be condensation? Was the gas tank left full or patially full? Put some gas line anti-freeze in and let it sit for a few minutes and try it again. Good luck...Irv

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
650, to drain the carb take the left side engine cover off and look for the phillups screw facing you on the bottom of the carb. loosen it and fuel will drain out the little hose comming out of the bottom of the carb. Let that flow for maybe 5 seconds or so and tighten again.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
You fouled the plug. It's very common on the Grizzly particularly when it's cold. Your gas should be fine, 3 months is not that long. If you can, get a platinum plug you will have far less problems when it's cold. I'm not sure what the numbers are but the cycle shop will be able to cross referance it for you. In the mean time a small shot of starting fluid may get it going.
One thing I found out is a fouled spark plug will still spark when you take it out of the cylinder and hold it to a ground and turn the motor over. The spark is just not hot enough for all the fuel that is going into the cylinder when the carb is choked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You fouled the plug. My wife about a month ago try to start the Grizz, it was already warm & she choked it; instant fouled plug. It would fire, but it would not stay running, it would just sputter. Put a new plug in & your off & running, that should be all you need to do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help. I have been a little to busy at work this week but I will take all the advice and do what I can. I was wondering if there were any other types of plugs I could get and now I know (Silver). I was also thinking of getting a new air filter for the beast but I here it is like the dodge or Chevy, which is better? I am new to this game and a little unsure of my self any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I personally don't like the K&N, I have read too many bad reports on them for what they cost. I just ordered a Twin-air and flange set-up for mine, I think the UNI is a decent filter as well? The K&N sucks if you ever get it wet and they have been proven to let more dirt/dust in than a good foam filter. Some guys use them and swear by them and if your the same way, make sure you get the outer wears cover for it and clean and oil it often. Good Luck......Irv

·
Registered
113 Posts
be sure to get the type of air filter that clamps to a flange. There are several out there. You can evan make one out of pvc. I like the Noss machine flange because you can use it with both uni and K&N filters.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I don't agree with Irv but I don't totaly disagree either. The K&N when used with the flange and outerwear and "properly maintained" is just as good as any foam filter and allows the engine to breath a little better, however, they are a little more labor intensive to keep them working properly. I suggest you get the Pro Design kit with the foam filter. You kan always try a K&N filter later if you want to. I have 2 Grizzlies with a K&N on one and foam on the other.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Noss Machine flange kit allows you to run either a K & N or UNI without changing the flange. Works great and I swtich between them depending on the riding conditions.

·
Registered
339 Posts
ProDesign goes both ways also...K & N or UNI!

Starky is 100% correct about the spark plug. Had this happen to me and I took the plug out to see if there was spark, it sparked so I put it back in and still wouldn't start. Installed a new plug and it fired up instantly!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had left my gas on, and the needle in the carb got corroded,and had to have it cleaned off. If you get no gas out of the carb, try some commpressed air into the valve, and if that does not work the carb is going to have to come apart. I now NEVER leave my fuel on!!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
************************** UPDATE **********************************

Thanks again for all the help. Over the process of the weekend my machine is now in many different pieces. I purchased a new spark plug put it in and nothing. I tried to drain the bowl of the choke. Nothing came out. I removed the hose that connects the tank to the card and fuel came out. So now I know that the machine is not getting any fuel. I put a little fuel in the spark plug (possibley a dumb idea) and it came alive untill it was all used up then it died. I just know now that it is not getting any fuel. I have removed the air filter boxso I can get a good look at the carb and now I'm tossing around the idea of pulling the carb.Is there any other ideas before I remove the grizzly's heart (carb)?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Just a guess,(long shot) but did you check your gas tank vent tube that comes off the top of the tank? It could be plugged? Floats could be stuck also? Good luck, I don't know what else to tell you other than it looks like you are going to have to get in the carb? Could be all varnished up and need a good cleaning? Good luck.......Irv

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I have heard of in one other case where the fuel shut off valve got put on a half off,,,, so when it showed on it was actually off,, might try shutint it off and see what happens,,,,, if you got fuel coming out of the hose at the shutoff this is not you problem but just a ideal,,,, ,,,, good luck,, cg

·
Registered
144 Posts
If the float needle is just a little stuck it can help to take somthing like a handle on a screw driver and tap the carb bowl while spraying carb cleaner in the fuel line. Worth a try!

If you are going to remove the carb fuel bowl the entire carb really needs to come out of the bike. The throttle cable isn't long enough to even let you just loosen the inlet and outlet boot clamps and rotate it.
The front rack,
Black cover under the rack,
Gas tank cover and gas tank,
Then the white plastic shield under the tank,
Air cleaner box and air filter.
Then you can get to the carb.
Not as bad as it sounds. It only takes a 10mm and 12mm 1/4drive sockets to get the job done.
Pilipps screws on carb are easy to strip out. I like to replace them with allen head screws.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts