Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the Grizz earned it supper tonight! Two co-workers took the afternoon off to enjoy the new snow we got last night to go snowmobiling. They came upon a decent stretch of slough that was open on Saturday before the cold came back and snow last night which created a layer of thick slush on the top. One guy made it across but the Ski-Doo bogged down and quit about 50yds from shore in about 3' of water. Got a phonecall to bring the Grizz for a recovery mission so I loaded up and headed out.

We had a long enough rope and the lucky driver got to wade back out to tie it around the handlebars (all that was above the water/slush). I was on shore but had a hill in front of me to work with along with snow and factory tires. Put it in 4-LOC and started pulling. The slush was frozen enough that it started collecting around the front of the sled but the Grizz kept going after we repositioned to get a better pulling spot and more traction. I think there was even a wake the last time I looked back. : ) The front end was hopping a decent amount and it was all I could handle to keep it under grips. I even took the 4-lock out for a try to see if I could pull and eliminate some of the bounce and it did help without really stopping my progress. Deep snow was ahead and the sled was on dry ground so I took it up the steep road ditch to the highway shoulder and onwards to the awaiting trailer. I'm not sure what size the Ski-Doo sled was (600cc+) but with a 6'6"-300lb guy on the seat steering the sled, the Grizz didn't slow down!

I wasn't too thrilled to have to do this with the minimal hours on the machine as I've just cracked about 10 hours and 70miles or so, but had to help a buddy out. Not to mention I know that the break-in schedule on all vehicles is pretty conservative, but I still didn't want to have to do what I did this soon! It was fun to see how much power the Grizz had and I just wish I had some better tires on for this event, but that's coming next fall before the next sled-head goes skinny dipping!

Pictures hopefully to follow!

·
Registered
141 Posts
thats cool,i cant wait to see the pics!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Sounds like a good time. I'd hate to be the guy that had to wade out to the sled.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a few pictures of the day's events. Not much showing the Grizz in action, but you can get the general idea.

http://home.mchsi.com/~lmitout/grizzly_vs_skidoo.htm

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would have loved to see a pic of the guy standing in waist deep water next to the sled also, great pictures

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Great pics cowchip, I guess the guy is tearing down that doo doo now? Did you tell him if he had a Yamaha he would have made it across? LOL. He is lucky he had you and your grizz to help him out! That would have been nasty if a cold snap came. Great job, glad to hear you are enjoying your grizz....Irv

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you look at the first picture, the guy running to the right near the water's edge is the lucky driver who got to wade back out to tie the rope. He was running to the warm truck! I was standing by the Grizz. Didn't get any more pics since the guy with the camera jumped in to help. Wish I had some of the action.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Great pictures, he'll never live that one down.

·
Registered
339 Posts
"something about that didnt look too smart from the start,,,, ,,,, ,,,, cg "

And then to make it even worse he was following in the first guys tracks.....!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
LOL great pics man that thing was in deep.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts