Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the bike was last parked, it ran fine. It was parked for about 3 weeks or so, and now it won't start. I tried starting about 2 weeks ago, and it fired right up, but died about 15 seconds later, not to start again. Wanted to go riding this past weekend, so i put a good charge on the battery, tried to crank it, and it fired right up. Then it died about 10 - 15 seconds later, not to start again. I have spent two days trying to get this thing started, and have realized that i have gotten no where.

It has good spark coming from the plug. The air filter is clean. That leaves me to believe that it is fuel. The fuel isn't that old. There isn't a fuel filter, that i know of, so is there anything that i can do, short of tearing the carb apart.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

BC

·
Registered
319 Posts
same **** just happened to me.
-on the bottom of the carb there is a small screw.
back it off and see if you got fuel getting to the carb.
it will drain out of a small port just in front or back of the small screw
but even if fluid does drain out it still does not mean the carb is not pluged some where.
-if you do not have fuel
pull the main fuel line off with the petcock in off
after the main fuel line is off open the petcock and see if you have fuel
there
-if you do have good flow there
than i would say pull the carb
-if you do not have good flow the petcock maybe jacked up

i had to pull my carb. and take the whole thing apart and dunk it in a carb dip

works great now

after doing some insp.there was a nice build up of filter oil in the intake
and i think that is what pluged mine up

hope this helps
FR660

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You say dunk in a carb dip... I've never heard of this before. I've always taken carbs apart and never got them back together right. That's what I fear at this point.

I have fuel coming from the petcock, as well as fuel from the bowl when i unscrew that thing.

Thanks for the help.

BC

·
Registered
51 Posts
hey big country it sounds nut but check your hose on the fuel cap to make sure no critters got in it and plugged the hose. if they did this could cause it to vapor lock. happened to a bud of mine. i would also take the fuel cap off blow through the hose to make sure the cap itself isnt plugged. frendly rock 660 has poninted you in the right direction. if you dont have fuel to the carb she aint going to run. as far as a tear down the carbs on these arent bad at all to tear down. there are alot of sites to get pics on the carb. where do you live? im in mn. i could help you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
holly **** man never mind i would help you but your a **** of a drive from here.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Your float could be stuck. Lift the front end up and drop it a few times. That may knock it lose. I don't think it's your carb unless you got a piece of crap in one of your jets. If that's the case you will only have to take the float bowl off to get to the jets. While you have it off make sure your floats are moving ok. Before you take the float bowl off you may as well buy a set of screws to put it back on. Just about everybody strips them out taking them out for the first time.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it's a little bit of a drive from MN.

Starky, if you don't think it's the carb, what is another direction that i need to think about looking. I live in VA and only drive to NC on weekends, usually only every other weekend, so i don't have a lot of time to spend wrencing on her.

BC

·
Registered
319 Posts
does it start anymore?

-if it is not starting at all, pull the spark plug and pour a little gas in the plug hole. a couple of ounces will do
if it starts it is a fuel problem.

hope this helps
fr660

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
like Pipes said the gas cap air inlet being clogged could cause this and it's simple to verify. Start it with the cap off first to check.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've tried starting it with the fuel cap off, and it doesn't help.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Looking at your plight Big Country I am wondering was the Grizz in a hot location. Like Starky said the inlet needles rubber tip could be adhered to the seat. but banging may only move the float. In my experience with other equipment this may not work.If it doesnt you might free it with a little shot of compressed air in the fuel line to the carb. Try blowing through the line first to see if it is plugged. Also you may have spark at cranking speed. If you using a timing light, determine if it is still firing when it quits during those last revolutions. Im leaning towards a fuel problem but it may be dropping it spark.

·
Registered
319 Posts
is it going yet BIG C?

·
Registered
121 Posts
If it runs for alittle bit then dies. It sounds like float or the vent tube to the carb is pluged up. Remove the vent tube in the carb then start it.This will elimnate the vent tube.If than doesn't fix it, i would have top lean toward a new needle and seat.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Hey BC, did you get her going. Another thing you can do is try a shot of starting fluid. If it runs for a few seconds with the starting fluid and then dies you definately have a fuel problem. If it doesn't run with the starting fluid then you probably don't have any spark and you have to start looking elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, ok, so i know it's been awhile, but i finally got to take a look at the grizz. I hate living in a different state than the grizz.

Well, i tried all the basics. Still no joy. She will start with a shot of starter fluid, then dies. So it is a fuel problem. Not sure which jet it would be but it's not getting fuel from the take. I've lost my manuel, and am about to look online for one to download. Whatever jet is controlled by the float is what i'm viewing as the problem. I'll let you guys know for sure when I find out for sure.

I really do appreciate all the help. Thanks, BC.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maybe your battery is just cooked? if it was sitting a while it might be time to change it. Sounds like its just not holding a charge. Is it turning over? Do you have power?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the carb taken apart and there was a big chunk of rubber stuck in the top of the needle valve set. It wasn't allowing fuel to flow by at the rate needed. It was trickling by, which is why it would start after sitting for awhile. It just took it time to fill the bowl back up. I'm 99.9% sure that this is the issue. I sprayed air and carb cleaner through all the jets and they seemed to be flowing fine. I'll be putting the carb back on wednesday evening. I'll let you guys know if i can finally do some wheeling. Just in time for hunting season too. Sure hope it works now.

BC

·
Registered
839 Posts
Do yourself a favor and check the line from the tank for deterioration. Or the fuel shutoff is the source of the rubber. Glad to hear youve found the problem. Happy trails

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Good to hear you found the problem, but Big D is right, check your tank, valve and fuel line to see where that rubber came from or you may be doing the whole job over again.

·
Registered
319 Posts
is there an o-ring on the gas cap?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts