Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only bad things i've read about the Grizzly 660 is that it is a bit tippy, it follows ruts a little too closely and the steering isn't very precise. Is this true? Everything else is great!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
The Grizzly has a high center of gravity, but it also has the highest ground clearance than most other quads. All these "weak points" you have mentioned can be corrected by stiffening up the shocks and changing to aftermarket tires and wheels.

In my opinion, the tires are the Grizzlies only weak point. The sidewalls are too soft and they don't self clean worth a ****.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I put aftermarket tires and rims it will be perfect. How do I stiffen up the shocks, just adjust them?

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
You've got it. Try stiffening up the front shocks one notch. I use a pipe wrench and a piece of leather to keep from scratching the shok up.
New tires and rims and a slight shock adjustment and the Grizzly is perfect.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright Thank You I'll have to save up some money to buy new tires and rims after I pay for my Grizzly! You know what I mean$$$

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Most of the new after market rims will give you a offset making the stance of the Grizz a little wider, wich helps with the stablitiy issue.

Now for me I run without the sway bar and the shocks as soft as I can get them and end up doing quite a few off camber situtions when rock crawling and don't have a real issue with it being tippy, atleast any more than my Rancher I had. I have placed it in a few hairy places on purpose and just sat on it and moved around and rocked it some just to find out where I feel comfortable with it and get a feel for how the machine acts.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Do like Extremegrizz said and put yourself in some different situations and learn the charactoristics of the machine. You'll find that the suspension may allow it to sway, but it is very difficult to actually tip it over.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll do that but first I'll have to get used to the machine.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hey master400, it is a great ATV, just very inconvenient when the rear CV's pop out all too often! (with standard tyres, at low speed, gentle driving!)

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Beast, does that just happen to you or is it a common trait. I've never heard of it before now.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I believe it is fairly common, a simple search on Google will show the extent of the problem. A lot of people just change to Gorilla Axles.
With bigger size tyres, the axles break, with normal size tyres the CV's pop out due to a bad circlip design!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Have you switched to the gorila Axles. Seems like you would have done that right away with your problem.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Changing to Gorilla Axles here would cost me 25% of the purchase price of the Grizzly, and I have standard size tyres, also the axles do not break, the CV joints pop loose from the diff. This would happen with the Gorilla Axle as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts