Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2003 Grizzly and you can ride for about 10-15 min. and the the temp like comes on. So i'll turn it off and back on so the fan can kick on 2-3 min temp light goes off, crank it back up and it will do again and again! Does anyone have this problem or no what the problem is?

·
Registered
339 Posts
First thing to check is the condition fo your radiator, meaning is it clean. Shine a light through from the back and look at it from the front to see if the spaces between the fins are clean. If not clean then use a garden hose and clean it out.

Next pull the front rack and hood off so you can get to the radiator cap, open it up and check for fluid. Even though the overflow resivoir has fluid in it that does not mean there is enough fluid in the radiator.

While you have it open you can also start it up and look for water flow, it should be circulating pretty good. If no flow it could be one of two things, either the pump is not working or the thermostat is not opening. The thermostat is very easy to get to behind the side panel on the righthand side of the Grizz. You can pull this out and check it in a pan of water on the stove, unfortunately I can't remember what temperature it is supposed to open up at. My guess would be in the 125 degree range but that is only a guess. You can check it without the thermostat to see that water is circulating but I would not recommend riding it without a thermostat. The small engine could actually overheat more without a thermostat in it when you are riding allot. It will take longer to overheat but once it does get hot it will not cool down because the water is circulating to fast for the small radiator to cool it.

Last spring I had to replace a thermostat in my Grizz. It took awhile to heat up but once it got hot it would not cool down without a stop. In low range going slow it heated up quickly but if trail riding in high it took quite awhile to heat up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I bought this four wheeler used from my buddy and he replaced the thermostat on it a few months ago. I'm gonna go out and clean the radiator right now. Have you heard any thing on the recalls for the 02-03 Grizzly for over heating? I also wanted to know what you thought about how big of tires you can put on it, right now i have 28 mudlites and there plenty big but i don't want to take a chance on blowing cv joints or something?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
There's a recall of sorts that involves some heat shielding under the gas tank, but that's more for vaporlocking than overheating.

I would consider flushing the radiator and putting in fresh coolant, and be sure it's bled. If that doesn't work, I'd try replacing the overtemp sensor as it could be hypersensitive.

Rob

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would definately check the radiator. If your fan is coming on, then that sensor is OK, so I would make sure your radiator is not clogged. Mine is and we went riding in the snow today and the temp light came on once, during a particularly tough and slow climb, where there wasnt much air thru the fins. We sat and cooled off a bit and then it was fine, but I need to clean my radiator out good... The mud is more of a problem than I thought.

Some other things you can check are the fan (good you said) and make sure you have enough coolant and the mixture is OK.

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yamaha offers a free "upgrade" to 02 & 03 Griz owners for overheating.

It consists of replacing the original 02 & 03 side cover's with the type adopted starting with the 04's. Also included are additional heat shielding on the fuel lines and tank.

If your dealer jerks you around or try's to charge you for the kit, go directly to Yamaha themselves and dig in your heals they'll pay for it.

One other point, the dealer should not charge you for any service on this matter and no $$$ work is required to have it done, it's all on Yamaha's nickel!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Write

Yamaha Motor Manufacturing Corporation of America
1000 Highway 34 East
Newnan, GA 30265

or call

Customer Relations
(800) 962-7926

The fact that you didn't buy it new shouldn't matter, it's their problem! Be persistent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
it is easy to tell if you have the ugrage on there there should be a heat barrier between your gas tank and the plastic peice under the gas tank and on your fuel line there should be a sleeve on it that is silver color same as the mat under your tank. and they put different side panels on them that have more than one vent cut into them same as the 04 and 05 models. and yes it is all free for the customer i have put on about 100 of them. oh and they put a different sheild on your exhuast to but if you dont know what the old one looked like you wouldnt really be able to tell if its updated they almost look the same.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just picked up my new 2004 BLUE Yamaha Grizzly! It is an awesome ride! I rode it around my yard and my trails for about 10 minutes then I seen the Coolant Temperature Light come on! When I got back to my house it was smoking and was overheated! What could be wrong with it! I thind it is the oil fan not coming on! It got too hot way too soon it seems like! It took about 20 minutes for the temperature light to go off! I let it cool off and checked the oil and coolant and they were fine! It made me so f***ing mad! I waited 3 days then when I get it home it f***ing overheats! The dealer is going to pick it up and see what's wrong with it. I'm thinking about just taking it back and buy another one from a different dealer. What should I do take it back or let the dealer fix it? I doubt I will find another BLUE Grizzly anywhere around here! I looked at all the dealers around here and this was the only BLUE Grizzly I could find!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Being new nothing should be wrong master my 04 took year and half befor overheating started make sure it is full of coolant never know about dealers let me know

1 - 13 of 13 Posts