Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yamaha part number 1YW-83965-00 It takes two 10mm wrenches and 5 minutes to install. It fits perfectly, the ridge on the brake housing holds the parking brake in place. Cost about $14.00 I saw it on the machine of the guy with the mud flaps. It is a great asset when parking quickly.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Thanks! DGR, I have asked my local Yamaha agent to order me one!!
I'ts just what I need to stop my Griz from "rocking" on the trailer!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
It looks like you have to have your brake pretty slack to in order to install that? I can't help but think that it would eventually stretch your cable to the point that you would need a new one in a short while? Great idea though...Irv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Irv, this feature is standard on my son's Suzuki LTZ 250 and my Mrs's Trailblazer 250. I only want to use it on my 3 quad trailer, currently my griz rocks about, while being held by the park brake. I have on occasion used cable ties to hold the front brake in the "on" position!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use my Parking brake mainly for taking pictures and quick hunting shots. I have not tried it on the trailer or other long duration parking.

My other machines that use the parking brake have cables that control the entire braking system. My understanding is that the rear brake is controlled hydrolically on the Grizzly. The cable is hooked to the foot brake that controlls the selonoid. I am afraid that using the paking brake instead of "Park" on the transmission for long duration hauling etc could be harmful to the hydrolic system.

I would be interested in your comments. DGR

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
This "lever lock", is one of those standard Yama-parts that they use on just about every bike they've ever made. The part number matches up with a 2004 Kodiak, but probably matches up with most of their models.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
It looks convienient but I like a tight brake and it seems you have to pull your brake in too far to use it. I supose it can be modified for a tighter brake pull.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I sometimes use a dog's collar. Make the collar into a small loop, pull in the brake and slip it on over the grip and brake lever. This holds the brake on quite well. I used this when trailering my old Wolverine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cockerd, I just used a stock Yamaha part. Sorry I didn't even look for a right parking brake. I like my brake levers tight so I usually use two hands to set the brake. (It seams like I use this brake when I am in a hurry.)

Enjoy

DGR

·
Registered
144 Posts
DGR, I had been thinking of doing the same thing. Thanks for the part number!!
Just about every other quad I have ever seen uses this parking brake method, I see No harm.
It seems like it would be much easier on the parking mechanism in the transmission to set the brake also. Just like parking on steep hills with an auto transmission in a car or truck. The brake should be set first before putting in park, and released last after taking it out of park and putting in gear.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Has anyone ever used a piece of bicycle innertube? Cut a 1" chunk out of a tube and slip it over your grip. When you stop you stretch it over the brake lever and your brake is set and you don't have to worry about stretching your cable.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bevergrizz, I would be a little worried about using the parking brake modification all of the time. I uderstand that the hand brake pulls a cable that goes to a hydraulic brake cylinder.

On a car you use a parking brake that is a mechanical brake to stop while parking. I would hate to see you harm the Grizzly hydarulic system by using it all of the time.

BUT, I AM NO MECHANIC!!!

Regards,

DGR

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
With my sleds Hydraulic brakes it cautions against using the parking brake for any prolonged period of time. It does not elaborate any more so what is prolonged use? I haven't had any troubles yet putting the grizz in park and making sure the front and rear are strapped in good.......Irv

·
Registered
382 Posts
Starky I liked your suggestion of using the bicycle tire inner tube...i didnt have one handy so I just used my emergency jimmy hat instead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts