Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adding my Mud Lite XTR's this week 26 9X12 front and 26 11X12 back and want to find ways that I can make up for any power loss. I am not necessarily needing more power, just dont really want to sacrifice any either. I have heard there is very little power loss with these tires so hoping I dont have to do too much to gain it back.

I did purchase a exaust power tip on ebay, may have been a waste of $$ but looked and sounded like a good idea

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4596449904

If anyone has any sugestions on what I can do to recover any power loss and if you can an aproximate cost, I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I believe an aftermarket airfilter would do the trick!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I added the TPI valves to my airbox lid along with the power tip. made a tremendous difference. I did not add aftermarket air filter and did not have to rejet.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
By puting on 26" tires you have changed your gear ratio. Your clutch is set up for 25" tires. To get back what you have lost you need a clutch kit. It's not going to change the amount of power you have, but it will put it back to the ground where it belongs instead of getting lost in the clutch. Adding an air filter and exhaust will increase the power but without the clutch that is just more power getting lost and a belt wearing out even faster.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will check into the clutch kit, that sounds like the best way to keep all my power.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Starky has hit it right on. Once you put the clutch kit it you will feel like you have 25" tires on again. I have been very happy with the Dalton kit while using 26" tires and typical riding. Typical riding to me means that I do not live in a mud bog, my ride is in the mountains of PA with the occasional swamps and power line mud holes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Starky is right on. Adding the exhaust and airfilter mods you can tell the difference in power ,however you do need to add a cluth kit. I put 26 in tires on then added the Dalton clutch kit which they make for that size tires.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes you can and can also get them in 25". I almost went that way but no one had them in stock and also when I added my plow plate, I lost an inch of clearance, wanted to gain that back.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi new to the forum, I just added the 27" Mud lites on the 14" rims. I trail ride, play in the snow and mud, but also spay weeds and hillclimb. What clutch Kit do you all rec. for this kind of fun?

·
Registered
462 Posts
welcome GFBR,,,i went with the outlaw kit,and am happy

evryone seems to be happy with which ever kit they went with,seems like we all went with diferant brands

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
EPI has different clutches depending on the type of riding you do. You would want the Sport/Utility clutch if you go with EPI. This is basicaly the same as the Dalton and the other brands for oversized tires. With the Sport/Utility clutch you kepp almost all of your top end speed and gain back the bottom end snap that you lost with the bigger tires. The EPI Utility clutch is more for the extreme mudbogger with the 28" and larger tires. With this clutch you lose more of your top speed but you get a lot of grunt way down low. EPI also has kits for altitudes above 5,000 feet but I'm not sure how they work.
http://www.erlandsonperformance.com/new/ATV-yamaha.php
Here is EPI's web site.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hoo...the Outlaw clutch kit is made by EPI for High Lifter.

The way I have interperted clutch requirements from post over the years is that for 26" tires Dalton works fine and is less expensive plus easier to install. Once you go up to 27" tires for trail riders Dalton is still OK but for Mud bogging you are beter with EPI. When you are in the 28" or more EPI/High Lifter is a necessity.

Difference between Dalton and EPI is with EPI you replace the wet clutch springs also. These springs are what delays the engagement of the clutch until you hit a little higher rpm. This delayed engagement is what gives you that little extra power to start turning big tires in sticky situations.

·
Registered
462 Posts
thanx DKNARD,,,i didnt come accross that info when researching,,,guess i got lucky when choosing,,,thanx for the info

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for all the help! will check that web site. Once I figure out how to load pixs will pass on some Nebraska snow ridin Photos. Merry Christmass

·
Registered
462 Posts
GFBR,,,,if you have dialup,,,,what i do is email the pic to myself by RIGHT clicking the pic,then select SEND TO MAIL RECIPIANT which resizes the picture so that your connection can send them accross the web

next you open them in email,and download them to a folder you make on your desktop

then when your here you type your post,and before you hit reply,click the "browse" tab,find the folder you made from the list (i named mine "pics to upload"),choose it,and it will open it,,,then just select what pic you want to post,click on it,,,it will enter the path in the box next to the browse tab,,,and then click the reply tab

1 - 17 of 17 Posts