Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When your are in 4x4, deep mud or deep snow, and you are pushing for all
the power to get it out from there, sometimes my grizz starts kind of "puffing"
as it is going to stall. Why is that, and what to do for it?

I think all the grizzlys do that.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
hi elie does this happen going forward and reverse or just reverse

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Sounds like you are hitting your rev limiter. Just back off on the throtle and rock side to side to try and grab some traction.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It happens in forward, when there is almost no traction anymore.
Starky, this is what I try to do. But when you are really stuck, it won't work, and keeping your finger on the throttle will produce this behavior.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
what year is the bike and are you in low range and diff-lock is on ?

·
Registered
256 Posts
You should also use your your low gear when riding in deep mud or snow

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a 2004, with 1800 miles. It happens with no diff-lock. I didn't try it with diff on.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Elie is this not just steam getting caught under the plastic petrol tank cover and then going into your carburettor? if so, then all grizllies do this when they get hot and are in water/mud/snow or damp!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
It won't help with the steam situation but make sure you put dielectric grease on all your electrical connections especially the 2 on your front diff servo. Be careful when taking them apart, the tabs can break easily if your not careful. I have put this grease on all the connections I could get to and it helps with the sputtering. Good Luck.........Irv

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
If it sputters when you work it hard or hit the mud and steam comes up I believe that can all be fixed. Mine used to do that when I first got it but with a little leaning out of the carb and a few Uni filters on the air box lid it has never once sputtered again. No matter how much steam or how hard I work it , it just purrs like a Grizzly.

It worked just fine with only 6 of these filters, I just added 6 more for no good reason (I had a spare set sitting around)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Elie...first thing I would do is put the dielectric grease on the two front diff plugs - doing this very carefully as Irv has mentioned. While at it also put a dab inside the spark plug boot. I doubt this is from steam from the way you are saying "pushing for all the power to get it out from there" and "It happens in forward, when there is almost no traction anymore". There is an rpm rev limiter on the Grizz to stop you from blowing it up, hopefully you are not hitting that!!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think it's the steam problem. When I am riding in snow, and I am not
stuck, it's works great, even if I have to push hard sometimes, and it gets out with no such problem. So I think it's the rev limiter. I didn't know it exists.
Anyway, I will try to find those 2 electric connections you are talking about and put some dielectric grease on it.

Thanks for everybody.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Where did you get those 12 Uni-vents addicted? I never knew they made such a thing? I am interested now that I have read your post. Thanks.......Irv

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Irv, I believe they came from either Motovan or Parts Canada , your dealer should be able to hook you up. They come in packs of 6 , for about $11. I don't think the picture shows it but each one has a little foam filter within them. Easy to install too, just drill and then they snap into place.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
addicted2mud,

are those univents not a dissadvantage in the water?

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I always carry duct tape to cover them for questionable water crossings, but I'm sure my belt breaters will suck in the wet stuff before the filters do. Never had water in airbox yet even with heavy splashing from hitting creeks at speeds to clean the mud off. If you want more security there's the square breater cut outs ( i forget what they're called ) and they have a sliding cover on top of them- i know Grizzhopper has them, check out his website.

·
Registered
33 Posts
check your fuel filter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts