Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and a couple of guys went riding the other day and found a lot of mud, on the ride back we lost a bike and it would not crank over for nothing. the starter would engage , just would not turn the engine. i tried to pull the rope ind it felt as if th 05 grizzly was locked up in the motor. the guy that owned/riding the bike said there was mud on the instrumant panel so he couldnt tell if the temperature light was on or not. my 02 grizzly had overheated on the way back also. is it possible for that to have locked his bike up? the warrranty had run out on his bike so now it is going to be all out of pocket.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
It is possible that you seized the motor? Hopefully not? But if you run it hot long enough something is going to seize. The only thing I know of is to pump a couple/few squirts of engine oil down the spark plug hole to get some oil around the rings. Let it sit for a few minutes and try it again. I don't think even with a warranty that they would cover that? Hopefully it is not an expensive lesson? Good luck........Irv

·
Registered
289 Posts
Anothere question is, and I'm sure you checked but the griz at least mine has used some oil from new, I have 5000 miles on it now and it doesn't smoke and hasn't gotten any worse but it does consume oil, (did he run it out of oil) I know some people don't check their oil before every ride but they should. Local dealers wrench told me some use oil some don't gotta check.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Usually when it seizes it happens all at once and you can feel it comming because you start losing power. Same with low oil. Were you guys riding when it quit or you just couldn't get it started after you shut it off. What type of quad is it?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Doubt you siezed it I know if my Raprtor gets on the warm size and I catch the starter on a compression stroke it will not turn it over. Also I would have thought if you guys had got it hot enough to sieze the motor you would have noticed the steam form the rad before it would have siezed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he was running it at the time. he took off a seperate way when we left him so i just got the story from him when he showed up at my house with his grizz on a trailer but i will try some oil in the cylinder. i did check the oil when he showed up, it did have oil in it but it looked like he havent changed it for some time. i will have some time in a couple of days to work on it some, thanks for all your help guys

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here's little info on pull starting the GRIZZ for those who never have.

! When you give it a try again stand on the footboards and pull handle out slowly(about half-way) until you feel/hear it decompress inside, then let it recoil back for a full pull and it will pull easily,give it a sharp snap and she should fire. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i can pull start my grizzly, but his was not even close to possible. he called me this morning and said he had the belt cover off and was pulling his with another bike and the back tires were turning in gear. i asked him if both pulleys were turning and he said yes. so shouldnt the engine be cycling also?if the engine was truly locked up the back tires shouldnt turn at all in gear in theory anyway. any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I wouldn't think the back tires would turn in gear if the engine is seized but maybe the clutch is slipping or the belt to allow this? I am not really sure? Has he tried to pull start it again? Good Luck.......Irv

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
That would be true with a chain or shaft drive, but our transmissions are centrifical and when the motor isn't turning at a certain RPM the spring in the clutch releases the belt. So as long as the clutch isn't malfunctioning the quad should roll even in gear. (I think)
It could be that something in his clutch went bad and it's not releasing the belt. That would be like trying to start a shaft drive quad in gear.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i took out the sparkplug. and took the pullstart cover off and tried to turn it with a 1/2 drive ratchet with the sparkplug out and some oil down the sparkplug hole. it wouldnt turn. so i guess it is locked up tight. he finally confessed to it making a hammering noise before he stopped it. well i guess it is true, you do pay to play. of course if he would change the oil more often that would help. thanks for all the sugestions. i tried them all.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Sorry to hear about your buddies bad luck, he is going to be spending a few bucks now! Do you know if he was running synthetic oil? If so, what brand? Good luck........Irv

1 - 13 of 13 Posts