Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my valves adjusted at the dealership. While I was in there they commented on the new tires, and asked If I had them very long. I said they were new (Maxxis Big Horns), and are a little heavier than the stock tires.

They suggested: The Half Washer Clutch Modification!

The mechanic removed the clutch assembly and put a half high washer on and replaced the clutch. He said that there is a Full washer modification that if for tires 27" and larger. He said that the washer allows the belt to go down lower in the clutch and gives the Grizz more torque. He said that it takes a little speed off of the top end. The total cost was a half hour of shop time and no materials.

The Mechanic said that the modification specifications came from Yamaha and they put it on a lot of Grizzlies every year.

I played with it in the parking lot and I like it so far.

Has anyone else done this modification, and what do you think?

DGR

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Are you serious? Never heard of it? How does the half washer stay in there? Or do you mean it is half as thick? Any more info or links on this? What is the name and number of your dealer? Sounds interesting, I wonder if that mod alone would take care of getting a clutch kit? Thanks for the info but I need more before I try this............Irv

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same thoughts as you. If this is all it takes it is a great modification. The 1/2 washer refers to the height of the washer. (It looked like it was about 1/2" taller than the main clutch shaft). The install was done by Freedom Ford Mercury in Gunnison Utah. Their phone number is 435-528-7244. I will give you updates in how well it works after I have had a chance to ride the Grizz a little more. DGR

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Thanks DGR, I am interested to hear on how it works out........Irv

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Thanks DGR, I am interested to hear on how it works out........Irv

Ditto, keep us posted DGR

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
14 Posts
DGR, I think this must be a utah thing. I actually did this to my 02' Grizz when I first got it. Escape MotorSports in Provo, UT told me to do this to help with the gas boiling during slow tight riding. This of course was before the heat shrouding fix came about. I noticed a little dirrerence "but not much" on the bottom end, but with having stock size tires it is not worth all the top end I lost.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FYL741 When I had some work done at Escape they made a modification to the clutch...I had it reversed. They did not tell me what the modification was. they just called it "Some clutch work". I only had my Grizzly about 4 months and did not like the need to tend the throtle. Based on your post I might have had the same modification that Escape did on my Grizzly last time.

This time I have heaver tires (they are still stock 25" tall) and I am quite impressed with the 1/2 washer modification. When I added the heaver Maxxis Big Horn tires I lost a some power. This modification got back the torque and then some. The Grizzly Roars up mountains again.

I have not run the Grizzly at higher speeds. (It got up to 50 mph quite quickly) but, I did not have a long enough run to see if there was any substantial top speed lost. I have had the Grizzly run about 65 mph and that is really faster than I need to go on a wheeler. (I heal to slowly and the adrenalin is over ridden by the fear of pain)

I did notice with this modification that the low end power is at a lower speed all of the time. My thumb was tired from my ride. I had to keep on the gas at slower speeds that I had to before the modification.

I love the additional low end torque and would not miss the faster top speed. I will keep monitoring the "UPGRADE?" "Change?" and see if it is what I want. RobG talked about using Grizzly 600 rollers in the clutch and it would give significant increase in torque as well. If the roller modification would increase the torque and not increase the need to tend the throtle at low speeds I would probably opt for the roller modification.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Where did they place this "washer" in the primary clutch or the secondary clutch. What they are actually doing is putting a "shim" in there to do something.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DKNARD I wish that I could help you with the placement of the washer. The mechanic put the washer behind this round thingie that was smaller than a bread basket. That is why I had a mechanic do it. The modification looked real easy for someone that knew what their were doing. By the way I did not even break a sweat watching him.DGR.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Can you tell me if it was the round thingie towards the front of the machine or the round thingie towards the back of the machine.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
This site is definately for the simple minded mechanic. Maybe that's why I like it so much.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
You guys crack me up!!!

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
809 Posts
can anyone give me more information on this 1/2 washer thing so I can intelligently ask my dealer what's involved. will my dealer know what the **** i'm talking about?

what about this mod compared to a clutch kit, pros and cons?

Thanks. I'm set to get a clutch kit but if this mod actually changes the gearing ... well wouldn't that be better?

Craig

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
craigmpak, The 1/2 washer modification was outlined in a Yamaha bulletin. I would imagine that the dealer buys the washer from Yamaha. The 1/2 washer modification was about $60 and it was the cheapest option at the time. I figured I would gamble $60 to see if it was what I wanted.

Because the 1/2 washer allows the belt to go down deeper in the clutch it increases the torque. That is the pro. The con is that the belt is always deeper in the clutch and requires more attention to the throttle all of the time. i.e. you have to keep on the gas when you would normally just be coasting. The jury is still out for me. I might change to a clutch modification at a latter date. RobG said that replacing the "clutch rollers" should be enough for me with 25" tires. I installed the Big Horn Radials and they are heavier than stock. (Well worth the money)

Regards

DGR

·
Registered
809 Posts
Figures, I went to the yamaha dealer today and they had no clue at all about this washer modification. Turns out that Yamaha Canada and Yamaha US are totally seperate and don't communicate with each other on anything. Is there anyway that someone can get me more info on this service bulletin? I did a search on google and found nothing. I went to the yamaha website and can't even email them.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Craig

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I could see that there is some confusion on this modification. SO I called the dealership that did the modification. The dealership said that the modification was dreamed up by the Yamaha representative and their techs. He said it was not really an official modification. The dealer said that they use the 1/2 height washer for 25" and 26" tires and use the full height washer for the 27" tires (As I stated in the first posting).

As I review my options I really like this modification. The modification does slow me down when I am coasting. My wife's Rubicon does the same thing. I have a lot of low end torque and I really like that. And the price to change the rollers is about $200 and a new clutch kit is almost $400.

I hope this helps with the confusion about where the modification came from.

Regards

DGR

·
Registered
809 Posts
I really want to try this mod on my grizzly ... do you remember where this washer went? So I presume Yamaha is adding a washer that wasn't there before? 1/2 for smaller tires and a thicker one for large ones?

Thanks!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I really want to try this mod on my grizzly ... do you remember where this washer went? So I presume Yamaha is adding a washer that wasn't there before? 1/2 for smaller tires and a thicker one for large ones?

It's just that I want to approach my dealer and 'intelligently' explain this mod and his thoughts on it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
809 Posts
secondary pic

1 - 20 of 65 Posts