Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far can you go on a tank of gas? Consider normal trail riding a few bursts down a road and some slow riding. I don't seem to get much over 60 miles to a tank! I think that is very hard on gas. Obviously gas mileage is not a concern but I think it may be a symptom for another problem. Also, it backfires quite often when the engine is turned off or when decelerating fast. Anyone else have that? I was wondering that the choke may need adjusting i.e. it is on a little all the time... Let me know what you think.
The bike is a stock 2003 Titanium LE with not quite 800 miles on it.
Regards, Ray

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
What exactly is a Titanium LE? Is that the same as the Silver tip Grizz? If it is you should be getting about 100 miles or more out of a tank! I think something is wrong some where, I take it you never bought it new? Not really sure on the back fire thing? Sounds like you got too much gas going some where? Good luck, wait for more replies............Irv

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Well with everything being stock they say the Grizz runs a little rich to begin with and that is where you tend to get that backfire once in awhile, both me and wy wife get it also but over the winter I have added a ProFlow flange with K&N filter so that might be just the edge I need.

As far as the gas millage im around 90 or so miles to a tank on easy railroad grade roads. Might want to make sure that your float is not sticking and running the fuel out the overflow. Had that happen to me on the trail once and all I had to do is tap the bowl with a screwdriver a few times to on stick it. If it is stuck you should be smelling fuel when you are stoped. Other than running rich I cant think of anymore ideas so far.

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought it used with 900 km on it. I can't smell gas around the bike so I don't think it is leaking out. The bike starts and idles great, of course needs choke during cold weather but that is expected. I haven't owned a Yamaha 4 wheeler before but did own a mid-eighties 225 DX 3 wheeler that I had a lot of carburetor issues with but it was just worn out. My first plan is to change the plug. Then investigate the choke cable being too short?? or if it is adjustable?? Then adjust the valves and reset the idle.
Regards, Ray

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine has the same back firing problem but it is nothing to worry about. Just a little lean and fuel buring off. As for the mileage issue. Grizzly's are pigs. I get about a 100km per tankful on trails wher I ride mostly in 2 wheel drive and sometimes in four wheel drive. I did get about 160 km once when I was on a rail bed and driving about 50 km constantly.

Sailorman3

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hey Sailorman,

My consumption is about the same as yours, Normal trail riding I get about 120km to a tank!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had sort of the same deal with mine me and a bunch my buds that i ride with have figured out that there is a problem with float it gets hot and swells and sticks to the side of the bowl there is a fix but it means taking carb apart and trimming down sides of float but works.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Don't know how you guys get so far but for my normal trail riding, (mostly slow staying under 15mph with a few 1 mile bursts where I could hit 40mph), I have to turn the reserve on between 27 and 30 miles. Beyond that I have never ran it to see when she runs out of reserve.

My machine is mostly stock other than a HMF ECOSystem pipe and 1 mikuni jet size larger on the main jet from 153.8 to 155.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I've gotten anywhere from 65 to well over a hundred to a tank. It really depends on the type of riding you are doing and the temperature. If I'm pulling the disc around the horse arena it really sucks the gas up, but if I'm just riding flat roads and ditches the milage is great. For trail riding without a lot of mud bogging, I would say 85 to 100 is typical.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have ran the stock tires on my grizzly (3600) miles up till now. i just put titan 589 on now and my mileage went downhill. same size and width as stock. never would have expected 70 miles to the tank compared to the 80-85 i was getting

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Aren't the 589's pretty heavy compared to stock. That may be part of the differance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
they do seem pretty heavy but compared to stock handling and going in the mud, i will definalely not think twice about getting the next set.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I did 160 km (100miles) on a full tank (about 20km on the reserve) Was driving @ 80-90 km/hr almost the whole time. I think this is good

My father-in-law did 200km (full tank + full reserve) That was easy riding though

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wow!

I usually can average about 20-30 miles out of a tank of gas...but I am mostly in low range 4x4 and rock climbing...and I ride double with my wife. I can ride all day long (about 6-7 hours) and still have a 1/4 tank left. We don't cover a great deal of land because it is so rough!! During one part it takes us about 2 hours to go about 1-2 miles. However, this is so muddy and rocky that most TJ's lifted with large tires are struggling to get through and usually end up winching to get by a lot of it.

Mine sometimes will backfire without making the loud pop when I shut it off...it sounds like it is sucking air into the exhaust pipe?? I don't know how to explain it, but it never hurts anything and is doing it MUCH less now that its broken in. I still haven't messed with the valves (400 miles on her)and don't plan to unless I am hearing pinging...I say this because after I got the valves "adjusted" at the stealership on my rincon it ran rough and lost some top end (although it was a slug to begin with!). My theroy is, if it isn't broke don't mess with it!!!!! I do the oil changes, the diff lubes, and the greasing of the grease "****" on the rear and that is IT!

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's terrible gas mileage! you should get at least 100 miles to a tank. It should get at least 20 miles to a gallon. I know I can put 1 - 2 gallons of gas in mine and I can ride all day. They do get bad gas mileage. My Yamaha WR400F dirtbike has 45 HP and gets 30 - 35 miles to a gallon of gas.

·
Registered
339 Posts
JarHead..you probably won't hear any pinging with the Grizzly because the valves will tighten up, not loosen up. What you will notice is a drop off in performance, in both throttle responce and top end.

I'm with you on the gas mileage, I have to hit reserve around 28 miles and estimate that I would run out before 50 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Master400, it all depends on the type of riding you are doing. Really, you shouldn't go by milage at all. Marine only goes 2 miles in 2 hours where you may go 50 miles in 2 hours on the trail. Even though the milage is way different, you both would probably use the same amount of gas in that time.

All I know is that after burning a full tank of gas I'm ready for a beer and it doesn't matter if I went 100 miles or 20. A tank of gas is full day of riding.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree Starky! Shut, sometimes after the 2 hour jaunt throught the bolders I am ready to clean my pants and relax LOL...I will never forget when I was riding with my parents on their rincon. They were in front of me and he tried to hit a mudhole from the side (didn't want to get the atv muddy so he didn't have to clean it) and he ended up with 2(1/2) wheels in the air and my mother laying in the mud screaming bluddy murder LOL!!! My wife and I were behind him and saw the whole thing in slow motion.

It kind of scared me at first because behind us was a clif with bolders we had just come up and to the left was a clif with about 200ft bluff down the mtn...but once they settled into that hole I couldn't help but laugh at them!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts