Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just watched this movie tonight and since you live in South Africa Beast, I thought of you. Have you seen it? I think you said you live near Johannesburgh? I believe that is in the old Transvaal province? Not sure on my geography, but I thought it was an interesting movie. I am an avid history buff, especially British history, but I really don't know too much about The Boer Wars. I'm reading a book now, but it just covers the basics. I'd like to learn more about it.

Jim

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hi Jim,

Your geography is SPOT ON, I live in Johannesburg, which is in GAUTENG province which was called the TRANSVAAL before. I am suitably impressed, When I was last in the USA, most people thought I was Australian (accent) and when I told them I was South African, they asked me if I knew their friend Jim who lived in Nairobi!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha, that was funny Stoneman. Thanks for the compliment Beast. I have always been interested in geography and history so I am usually pretty good on locations. My wife on the other hand tells me that North is "up"... gosh! And she is getting her Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine and is in her 8th year of higher education.

Anyway, just curious, are you of Dutch or English decent? Or something else entirely. I figure they are the two main nationalities of decent due to the history. I assume you have lived in SA your entire life and the Boer Wars are as familiar to you as the Civil War is to Americans. (Actually, some of the kids today probably don't have a clue!)

SA is one of the countries I have always wanted to visit. Maybe one day I will. I have alot of places on my vacation list and somehow I never check any of them off. I'm getting older now... gonna have to start changing that! When my wife is finished with her schooling, we are planning a trip to Australia, so I'll have to hit up Bruce, er, Noel for some ideas of where to go... I'll do the same if I ever get to SA!

Jim

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Stoneman,

Does this mean we should start calling Beast, Bruce?

Jim,

Any time you want mate, just let me know what you are after and I will check it out for you, might even catch up for a beer or ten.

Cheers Noel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts