Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so where did ya get your heated hand grips and how much do they generally cost?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I got mine here in Canada and paid about 80 bucks, they are symtec's I believe? They are a better grip/thicker grip than the stockers and came with a thumb warmer as well. What ever pair you go with make sure they heat level is adjustable, high/low or incrementle.......Irv

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hot grips is a must-have to ride in cold weather.
Another good hand-warmer accessory is those hand muffs you can put over the grips. Be sure to get them large enough to fit over all the gadgets around the grips i.e. brakes, brake oil container etc...

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I bought a set but they're still in my tool box. I have the ones that stick to your handlebars and then the grip slides over that. I also use a windshield with a fairing that blocks the wind.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Grip warmers are MANDATORY in colder weather. Plus having a snowmobile, I get used to having 'em on the sled, so I had to have 'em on the quad. Mine are from Cycle Country and I got 'em from Cabelas. They're complete replacement grips that are a little larger in diamter than stock... I love 'em. $40 for the set.

I also just today picked up a thumbwarmer at the dealer (Parts Unlimited) for $20. Got two -- one for my Grizzly and one for my SP800.

I've been riding the Sportsman to work lately because my truck is in the shop, and I have the quad registered street legal here in Montana. I'm working on getting the Grizz setup to be street legal too, hopefully by end of Jan it'll be done.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
From what I remember, it doesn't take much to make a quad street legal in Montana. Wish more states were like that.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
It's pretty easy... they want an electric horn and a mirror installed, along with a lighted license plate bracket. Most people don't have the lighted plate bracket, as many people simply rivet or screw the plate to the back plastic. I mounted the bracket but haven't wired up the light yet because I only want it to come on with the headlights... and Polaris has this thing where the taillights are illuminated all the time. I wanna rewire that too.

The horn installation was fairly easy, but sounds silly. The mirror proved to be a problem because (1) there isn't much room on my handlebars for more stuff and (2) I hate the mirrors that mount to the end of the handlebars because they stick out and can get whacked by trees and other stuff when you're riding trails. On top of that, none of those mirrors looked good or worked well, and the only handlebar-mount mirrors were chrome and stupid looking.

So I found a really nice looking mirror, made by Bombardier of all people, that was intended for use on the Outlander. It was designed to screw into the left brake lever pivot (sorta how handguards are usually mounted). Well, naturally, the bolt size wasn't the same, and besides, that was too permenent of a mount for me anyway. I wanted something that could be taken off and put on quickly. That's when I had an idea.

I use the RAM mount system for my GPS and two-way radios. I have two of the little "ball" RAM mounts on my handlebars, one on each side. The right side is for the GPS and the left side is for the radio mount. Since I rarely use the radio, the left one is usually open. So I mounted one of the ball mounts to the mirror and used the standard RAM screw clamp to attach it to the quad. I have two photos to show what I've done.

Rob

·
Registered
701 Posts
Excellent! Just use them for on road, and then you can take them off in the woods. Very innovative Rob! Whats the rules for road riding? We could start another thread if need be. I just find it cool. Especially after doing it in WV.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts