Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with the High RPM CDI units, like ebay Item number: 4577053543 or Item number: 4577233356

Or the Rectifyer, Magic Power box,

Any comment / advice.

I am just think about it.... an extra 1300 RPM sound nice!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm always wary of things like this. An extra 1300 RPM sounds nice, but is that good for the health of the engine? I always wonder why the factory didn't put out some of these mods. Usually, in order to increase engine performance/production, you have to also build up the engine itself. I have never used one of these, but for a car engine, there are differences between a standard motor and a high performance motor, and I'm not just talking the parts that give it the extra power. Things like 4 bolt mains vs 2 bolt mains give it the strength to handle the extra power too.

That said, I am sure a reputable shop could give you advice. I have mention this place before, and they have always been happy to answer my questions on the phone. Try them out and see what they say. I also found them to be alot cheaper than eBay for many things too.

http://www.mrcycles.com/

Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
These bikes have alot of power locked up inside.When Yamaha builds these bikes they can't tune the motors to their full potential because they don't know if a 15 year old kid is going to ride it or a 60 year old. They have to give it enouph power to make everyone happy. This also opens up the door for the after market and people like us to find out where we can grab a little more power.
Look at the raptor for instance, it's the same motor, but tuned for power and racing. Yamaha knows the people that buy these bikes want power and speed. I hope this helps out a little.

Mike 0

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hey fitter565, I seen in your signature that you are running 26" Bearclaws and was wondering how you like them and if you could help me out or not? I have a post about bearclaws on here and I was wondering if they have more than a 2 ply sidewall? A atv retailer was telling me that they are a 6 ply rated tire but only have a 2 ply sidewall? Hoopharted has been a tremendous help helping me decide to get these tires but this question came up and i haven't received an answer yet? I even wrote Kenda a few days ago and they have not replied? Any info you would be appreciated........Irv

·
Registered
18 Posts
Irv, My tires say there 6 ply. I'm not sure about the side wall. I would have to say their the best tire I've ever used. I've had them in mud,snow,rock and sand with no problems what so ever. I have over 500 miles on them with not much wear at all. I will buy another set when these finally wear out. Good luck!

Fitter

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Thanks fitter565, I have heard nothing but great stuff about the bearclaws! What other tires have you run? I was also looking at the Mudbugs but I am now leaning more towards the BearClaws....Irv

·
Registered
18 Posts
Irv, I've run dirt devels, mud lites, stock and the bear claws. Your choice in tires really depends on what kind of riding your going to do? I wanted a good all around tire, so I chose the bear claws. I'm very happy with them.

Fitter

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Thanks Fitter, my brother in-law is ordering some Bearclaws this week-end for his po-po, I will check his out when he gets them and hopefully I won't be much longer getting some myself? I don't think of all the posts I have put on other forums have I heard anything bad about them? Everybody is Mudlite crazy around here but they wear out way to fast for my liking! Maybe I will get everybody converted when I get mine?. Thanks again.........Irv

·
Registered
212 Posts
regarding the higher rpm unit...
I'd be curious to see the dyno sheet on this conversion. I believe that the raptor is cammed to make the power at higher rpm. the grizz lower. therefore you may be gaining very little power and still putting the rods, etc at risk d/t the increased r's. I found this to be true with my motorcycle. I have a Honda Magna 750 and the vfr uses the same engine with different camming to achieve less torque, but higher horsepower from higher rpm. even more convincing is that the clutch of the grizz "should" keep you in the power where traditionally clutched vehicles allow the driver/rider to dictate the drivetrain rpm's.
if anyone has the dyno info on the conversion or the grizz in general, I'd be curious. best of luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts