Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I installed the performance package on my 2003 LE Grizzly. The kit comes with a Supertrapp Exhaust, new plug, K&N Air filter, outwears filter, and a jetting kit.

This was my first time working on the Grizzly other than installing a clutch kit. The screws that Yamaha use must be half aluminum and half butter. I fought with every screw on the carb. After removing the tank 5 times after test sessions. I ended up with 160 main jet, 4th notch on the needle and still a lean looking plug. I gave up and went riding for awhile because I work out of state and am only home for a short time. The wife and kids wanted to go riding, so it was a mutual agreement...lol.

Personally, I feel it still doesn't accelerate worth a beans. Maybe it's due to jetting. Since I installed 28" ITP M/S, I have been trying to restore the power back, it would have been cheaper to sell the tires and buy a more aggressive shorter tire.

I'll start over testing around Thanksgiving. The air will be cooler and better so it will probably be real lean.

If any of you have experienced the same, I would appreciate and constructive assistance.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
339 Posts
It would not suprise me if you are still running lean. I have the ECO pipe which supposedly does not breathe near as much as other pipes and I am going up another jet size to 157.5 from the 155. These are Mikuni jets.

·
Registered
224 Posts
From my experience With jet kits, I perfer to leave the cotton picking things STOCK!! LOL...

It is very hard to get the jetting correct without a dynojet testing facility and a good 2-3 hours to get it dialed in. I prefer to leave the freaking think alone. I mean some engineers did design it to perform right?

*laughs*

·
Registered
11 Posts
remember the main jet is only at wide open throttle, and being a vacumm slide in that thing, probably not wot all the time, so i would change the pilot jet your not really supposed to mess with the fuel screw on the carb and if you do go over a 1/2 turn each way your soppose to change you pilot anyways. the fuel screw is for idle and the pilot jet is from idle to 1/4 throttle and then is works off of the needle jet from 1/4 to 3/4 then to main jet. if you want mare throttle response you might need to change out your air jets on the vacumm slide.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts