Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally did it. I ordered the HMF QS1 exhaust and the Pro Design kit with K & N filter. I said I wasn't going to modify the Griz but I folded.
I still have to order my clutch kit.

Is anyone else using this system?

·
Registered
462 Posts
that pipe is real restrictive,and isnt much quieter(when new) than stock from what i gathered from just about every review i read written by someone who wasnt in bed with the manufacture

i do quite extensive research on items such as this before making any decision

its been awhile,but if i recall (not positive,as i said its been a while),that pipe also has to be repacked every 30 or so hours,,,,folks were saying zero HP gains,,,,,none,,,,,,and no noticable DB's change after a few runs,,,,,again ,just what i read in individual reviews

the pro flow kit on the other hand,i can speak from personal experiance,,,,very noticable gains,,,,but i did drill my airbox

i was somewhat concerned about drilling the lid,and going through the deep snot,,and last weekend i attempted the deep one with the bear claws on and had it buried up to the seat (15 3/4" clearance to the bottom of the foot well) ,and the mud only got to the top,but not over the lid,,,still pretty close though

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've read recently the Hauck Motorsports pipe is nice too. Wish they weren't so loud. I don't think my neighbors would enjoy the added decibels of an aftermarket pipe while plowing snow at night. Probably the main reason I haven't gotten one.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Been thinking of a pipe myself but think as soon as I sell the Raptor I might use some of the money and get some after market shocks first but will see never know it all depends how I feel at the time.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information Hoo. The reason I went with the QS1 is I helped a friend install one on his Vinson this summer. Just with the pipe alone there was a noticable increase in snap. It was a little louder but it was a very mellow sound. He still had the stock air filter so we couldn't see the full potential of the pipe.
Unfortunately I will have to wait til February to give you all a report, but I'll definately let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Starly, I'd love to hear your results. Anyone heard anything on the LRD exhausts? Anyone know what the stock decibel is for the exhaust.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't see anything listed on LRD's Site as of yet. when I wasn in there show room a few months ago, they said that they were still in the development and testing stages, and not quite ready for production. Any info would be appreciated. Does anyone know about the performance of the HMF or the DR D's Pipes???

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had any tests on the BUB exhaust for the Grizzly ? I am very interested in that exhaust system that type of exhaust is very common in the HP for cars
I have just purchased a 2006 Grizzly have ordered the K&N and the EHS Racing Air box top filter mod have to say the folks at EHS Racing are all great and a great product !!!! Thanks Randy

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have been running the QS1 with Pro Design using both K&N and UNI depending on the conditions for well over a year now.

First the ProDesign filter set-up is the absolute best mod going for the Grizzly. It provides a positive secure filter attaching point. I have found that there is a little noticeable difference between the K&N filter and the foam UNI. Myself I prefer to use the foam in extreme dusty conditions, generally over the summer/fall months then use the K&N winter/spring. I do now have one TPI valve in my airbox lid that I have run open all summer with the foam filter installed and the Grizz seems to like it.

The QS1 is a little louder than stock but not offensively loud like most of the aftermarket pipes. It also does not give the gains of the other pipes either but it will provide you with some gain. Where I noticed it was in the mid range, seems more responsive. This pipe does not require any packing.

After installing both mods it would be a good idea to do a plug chop to see what condition you are running. It should be pretty good but I found in winter I was just a little on the lean side so I increased one jet size. I can't remember for certain but I thing stock jet is 148.3 and I changed to 150 (these numbers were written without checking my notes so they may be incorrect). During this summer I purchased an airbox lid with a TPI valve installed and ran the foam filter with the TPI open and the Grizz ran fine.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great information DKNARND. Do you also have a clutch kit?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes I have a Dalton clutch kit for oversize tires. Seems like most people prefer the EPI or High Lifter kit over the Dalton but I am quite happy with it and would install it again. The difference between them is that Dalton does not include wet clutch springs. These springs delay the belt engagement until a slightly higher rpm is reached. If I rode mostly mud with 27" or larger tires then I would go with the EPI kit but since I ride mostly trails and don't intend on larger than 26" tires I am very happy with the Dalton. With the Dalton the bike handles like it is running stock tires.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Dknrnd, Not sure how I missed this. I'm really thinking the HMF QS1 and filter setup. Some midrange snap would be great! Plus I only stock size tires. So you ran the airbox and pipe changes with no jetting changes for awhile?

·
Registered
339 Posts
No I didn't really run it longer than a couple of rides before I changed the jet size. You really need to do a plug chop after the exhaust and intake mods to see if the jets need to be changed. When I checked my plug it was very close to being acceptable but I felt safer going up one jet size then adding a TPI valve to my air box lid to allow more air flow, which I only open during the summer months.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm planning on using my tracks in the snow with temperatures around -20 so I will definately be lean and have to go up at least one jet size.

Hoo, do you know if there is a Dial-a-jet for the Grizzly. Because of my extreme temperatur changes it may be something I should use and keep me from tearing into the machine twice a year.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Friend I ride with on occasion had one on his Grizzly (now he rides a BF) and it worked great.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I don't exaclty understand the dial a jet thing, but I've heard they're junk. Hearing they work great is good to hear!

·
Registered
462 Posts
hey guys,,,if your interested in dial-a-jet go here,,,,,they have it for the 660 Grizz,and Rhino,among many other bikes

they also do a great job explaining what/how exactly all of there products work,,,i came accross this while researching jet kits,and totally forgot i saved this page until you fellas reminded me,,,cool,something else to do,,,lol

http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet_atv.htm

when you get there,if you go back to the main page,select dial a jet from the products list,and you can get to the page that explains exactly what it does,and how it works

the link takes you to the page for selecting your bike,and product number

·
Registered
462 Posts
welcome doolin,,,i agree,im going to try it,too

·
Registered
701 Posts
Starky, when do you get home? I'm curious to hear your review of the new exhaust. I emailed HMF yesterday regarding the decibel level between the Utility Series and the QS1 exhaust as well as power differences. Here is there repsonse.

"Open it is approx 102~104db.
With the quiet core approx 96~98db.
The Eco only makes 1/2 the power of the utility and is approx, 96db.
Also is it huge power loss running the quiet core or ecoseries.
No you may lose some mid to top MPH though."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts