Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first oil change yesterday and added 2.2Litres, in my manual it says Oil quantity:
Periodic oil change:
1.9 L (1.7 Imp qt, 2.0 US qt)
With oil filter replacement:
2.0 L (1.8 Imp qt, 2.1 US qt)
Total amount:
2.2 L (1.9 Imp qt, 2.3 US qt)
What exactly does it take? It doesn't make sense if it says 2.0 L with filter and then states 2.2 L Total? Of course i added the 2.2 L and it is now over full!! Anybody else run into this problem? Can some one explain what the Total amount means? Thanks in advance.........Irv

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Irv,

Ok here we go, and of coruse I work with quarts so....

Periodic: When they say that it means doing a oil change without changing the filter just the oil. Now me I don't know of anyone that does a oil change and does not do the filter but maybe someone does. Not a good idea IMO though. So you are looking at 2 qt for that.

Periodic w/oil filter: That is your normal oil and filter change which states it would take 2.1 qt. So for me doing a oil change and filter I usally add two quarts of oil then start it up for a few seconds for the filter to fill then check. Usally thats perty close to the full mark and I just leave it there.

Total Amount: This is the total amount of oil it will take when it was shipped dry to the dealer or if you were to do a rebuild. 2.3 qts is the total amount when the engine is dry/new. When you put oil in for the first time and drain it without even starting it you always never get the same amount back.

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks xtremegrizz, i should of just refered to my owners manual and not my service manual? In there it says 2 Litres. Thanks for the info. I guess i will be draining 200 ml out.............Irv

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Not a problem Irv just glade I could help.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were you guys aware to check your oil you don't screw your dipstick all the way in? I wasn't! Someone at 1st Place Parts near my home town informed me and sure enough it says exactly that in the owners manual? Who would have thunk it? I just assumed it would have to go all the way in for a accurate measurement but not on the Grizz! Are all ATV's like this or only Yamahas? I guess mine came a little shy of oil from the dealer!....Irv

1 - 5 of 5 Posts