Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how often you guys check your clutches? I haven't been in anything real nasty yet other than some mud to the floor boards. I was just curious if mud and water can get in with out going over the head lights? Is there any way i can check with tearing the whole thing a part? Do you have to buy new gaskets taking the cover off? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance ....Irv

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I pull mine and clean them thoroughly once a year. I may skip it this year because I put in a new belt about two months ago and it looked good... dusty, but good otherwise.

I also do my diff fluid yearly... which I'm about due on as well. Plus valves, etc. :)

Rob

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RobG, what have you found in there? Do you play in the mud/water a lot? is there anyway of checking before tearing it apart?...Irv

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
All I do when I "check" is pull the crankcase cover off and look at it. To get the clutch out, you then remove the alum "shield" over it, then remove the 24mm nut (wtih an air gun or strap wrench), and slide the clutch off of the splines.

From there, it's easy... 8 philips screws to get the lid off, pull the rollers out. Soak the sucker (minus O-rings) in gasoline to get the grease out.. that's what takes the longest, that grease is TOUGH. Once good 'n clean, regrease, reasssemble.

Rob

·
Registered
339 Posts
If your not draining lots of water out of your little tube on the front clutch snorkle they you will be good. The other way to get water in is if the rear of the machine goes under while coming up out of a hole. If you haven't had any slipping issues you are good and do not need to check it very often at all, just follow the maientance schedule.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, i just wanted to make sure i wasn't neglecting them........Irv

1 - 6 of 6 Posts