Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

how to adjust rear shocks

13K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  dgr 
#1 ·
how do you adjust the rear shocks on a 2003 grizzly. do I have to take the axle guard off. I use a part of channel locks to adjust them but I can't get to the rear ones to turn it.

#2 ·
I just raised my shocks all around to the 4th setting and the back ones by far are the hardest to do! Make sure you raise the wheels off the ground, spray a good lube on the shock ramp and get in there with a big enough pair of channels locks, squeeze tight and turn, they will move but it will take quite a bit of effort! The rear left is by far the worst, not much room in there at all. Good Luck........Irv

#3 ·
I use a pipe wrench but it works the same as channel locks.

#4 ·
I use water pump pliers, but I sparay WD40 on the shocks first!

#6 ·
I also have a piece of leather that I wrap around the shock to get a little better grip and it prevents the wrench from scratching up the shock.

#8 ·
I meant to add that in my post as well, make sure you take off your back wheels, I think it is impossible to turn the springs if you don't?.....Irv

#10 ·
I agree, it would seem like a lot of trouble to remove the tires only especially with them still mounted on the bike!........Irv

#11 ·
Thanks for all of your input. I gave it a try today. I used channel lock pliers. Of the first shock I had trouble making the adjustment. Then I sprayed the WD40 on the top of the ramp and let it run down between the shock and the adjuster coller. I sprayed it all the way around the shock. It made moving the making the adjustment easier on the other three. (I did remove the tire/ wheel/ 4 tire nuts, to make the back shock adjustment easier.) And while I was in the mood... I greased the upper and lower knuckles on the rear end....yes, both sides.

The best half of my toolbox has WD40 and Duct Tape!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.